Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Objects stacking feature and more

Ernst, what I do (my "workaround") would be to align two objects to, for example, their bottom edge. Then (with scale linewidth turned off) I would select one, grab it by a side selection-handle, hold the Ctrl key and flip it. The two objects would then touch each other along their common edge as shown in your 2nd example. If scale linewidths were turned on, I believe the flippy would produce what you have in your 3rd example.

Kind of clunky but it should work.

John
    Last edited by jclements; 22 October 2007 at 10:39 PM.

Reading all the workarounds it is still easier to launch Red Squirrel and do the packing in Risc Os ArtWorks when there are 4 objects or more. Below that number some suggestions will be fine or just use the manual route.

Ernst

This is one of those situations where there is some feature in some other program that is indispensable to a particular user, yet for the majority of us Xara users we see little point to it. It seems to happen quite a lot!

I can't remember a time since I've been using Xara that I've ever wished for such a feature.

Ernst, what in particular is it that you do that makes you use this feature so often?

I'm finding it difficult to believe that it's easier to go and use another programme rather than align four objects in Xara.

Paul
    Last edited by pauland; 23 October 2007 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling!

I, for one, would like this stack objects feature.

Gary

What would you use it for Gary? Don't say "stacking"!

Two times logged off while writing longer replies takes too much time.

In short: add a pack tool, choices: horizontal and vertical, choices: to the skeleton line or to the outline thickness + a choice of separation

distance with a zero default. The last is how Illustrator does packing with the distribution tool: you can fix one object and set the

distribution distance between the objects with the default at 0. Illustrator does it to the skeleton lines only. ArtWorks on the other hand

always packs to the outline thickness so you have to make the outlines zero thick to pack to the skeleton lines and add (a variety of) outline

thickness afterwards again. Would be nice if Xara got the best of all packers.

Ernst

Quote Originally Posted by Ernst Dinkla View Post
    Two times logged off while writing longer replies takes too much time.t
    Could always prepare your response in a text editor before you sign in? Just a thought

What would you use it for Gary? Don't say "stacking"!
    There are times I would like to align a selection of objects and have then all touch (see I did not say stacking).

I can't give you a specific but there are numerous times in the course of doing whatever it is that I do when I am not doing this, that having this capability would be helpful.

Next time I encounter such an instance, and provided I can remember, I'll post a more coherent example.

Gary

LOL, OK.

I can't really think of an instance where I've needed to do that. Usually the closest I'd come would probably be distributing elements using the alignment menu, but with a gap. That's why I can't see much use for the facility.

As Ernst says, it should be reasonably easy to add to the alignment menu.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Could always prepare your response in a text editor before you sign in? Just a thought
    Which I did after all. Usually this isn't a problem on other sites though.

Ernst