Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where's all my xar files gone? Suuntos lost files thread

NOTE FROM EGG: This thread is to do with Suunto losing all his xar files (see next post). Somehow it got mixed up in Behzads original thread "Xara Xtreme: I use it for print publication and also website graphics. What do you use it for?"

To uncomplicate matters I've split the thread into two seperate threads.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 25 September 2007 at 01:48 AM.

Default Re: What do you use xara for?

looks like nothing anymore

my folder with all my xara documents in..........is now empty i wouldnt' delete them, i keep everything but when i went to the folder there was nothing in it??? i don't know where they've gone......i checked recycle bin and run a recover files program just in case but nothing

i keep shutting my documents down and re-opening just in the hope they have returned . . . . . . nothing

gutted is not the word going to sulk for a bit now............hope a penny drops and i can figure out how they disappeared

do a search for *.xar?
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    do a search for *.xar?
    thanks.........just finished and nothing i would never delete them and the empty folder is there so i'm totally at a loss to where they are

all i got was program files
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2007-09-23_200425.png 
Views:	252 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	41655  

As this appears to have just happend, you might have some luck with a deleted file recovery program such as this one.

http://www.snapfiles.com/opinions/PC..._Recovery.html

...good luck

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    As this appears to have just happend, you might have some luck with a deleted file recovery program such as this one.

...good luck
    Thanks very much Sledger
    i've ran a search on my external hard drive in case they somehow got moved to there............nothing

so they must be deleted but i don't know how,............i've tried 'recover my files' program......it has an option for xara files..........it found one but it was a one i done for my brother so deleted it once done........its the only xara file i've deleted on purpose and it found it........nothing else

downloading from your link now.......its defo worth another shot
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post

...good luck

well i had some luck. . .

it was bad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pcinc.png 
Views:	252 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	41656  

When was the last time you defraged? Could be your fat table is just really goofed up... Try that... and maybe a scan disk...

You could always do a search for .xar in a dos window and see if you can find em...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    When was the last time you defraged?
    Ahhh! Don't defrag before trying to recover files! You will run a huge risk of overwriting clusters containing parts of your missing files. If you defrag, even the C.I.A. will have to put in overtime to find (and put together) your missing files!

It's better that you try an other recovery program as you had problems with the one suggested by Sledger. If you hang in there, I'm sure he, or other members can suggest some other program.

1. Files don't disappear by themselves - you either did something accidentally, or you have a huge problem - like a virus or an application that messes with your file system in a way it shoudln't.

Again, hang in there!

Risto

Suunto - it appears that you have stayed with the Windows option to hide file extensions... it is barely possible that Windows for some reason has decided that .XAR files are system or hidden files and therefore won't show them to you... in Explorer (not Internet Explorer), go to Tools > Folder Options > Files and Folders > Hidden files and folders and click on "Show hidden files and folders." Take the checkmark (tick) off "Hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected and operating system files (recommended)." ... fingers crossed... this is only a maybe
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 25 September 2007 at 02:01 AM. Reason: EGG ~ Edited when thread was split.