Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Fill Question for Xara X1

The fills are PNG's, would it be best to save them as PNG's (to the seperate directory) or as Bitmaps? Thank you.

couldn't say... I haven't added any files to a gallery in years. I would imagine a bitmap is a bitmap... bmp, jpg, gif, tif, png. I would try it with what they are presently saved as then try expimenting if the gallery doesn't show em all. The xara bitmap fills are in several different formats... gif, jpg and tif from what I seen while glancing through the actual galleries.

Internally, xara uses png. bmp would load the fastest but make for some huge documents. gif and jpg work rather nicely. Your choice I guess.
    Last edited by raynerj1; 12 September 2007 at 04:29 AM.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Hi LineDraw

Png should work fine, and as its lossless compression, its a good balance between quality and file size. In this case as they are png in the first place thats the way to go I reckon - converting from a compressed to an uncompressed format is'nt likely to be beneficial.

A lot of screentone bitmaps are distributed in tif format - there are a few glitches with xara at the moment in respect of tif thumbnails and the gallery, so I would copy these to png format too if you come across them - or bmp format if the tif is uncompressed since in theory these may therefore print better.

I'd avoid gif or jpg since you are going to print.
    Last edited by handrawn; 12 September 2007 at 07:32 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you for the help...very appreciated. I will continue to experiment