Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Importing EPS into XtremePro

I downloaded this .eps template from a on-line printer, but I am unable to open or import it into Xara. I'm using XtremePro3.02.

Any idea why Xara .eps importer can't handle it?

Can someone with the new 3.2.2 version try to see if they can open or import it?

As a work-around, I opened it in Acrabat8Pro and then saved it as a PDF and then was able to import the PDF into Xara.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BQ; 13 August 2007 at 02:46 PM.

Default Re: Importing EPS into XtremePro

Try this:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks, but I was able to create the .xar file by opening the .eps in Acrobat and then saving it as a PDF and then importing it into Xara.

My question was why can't Xara open/import the .eps, since they advertise that their software can.

Also, as a test I downloaded Adobe Illustrator CS3 trail software. I created a simple rectangle and then saved it as a .ai and .eps file (different versions) and can't open or import any of them in Xara.
    Last edited by BQ; 13 August 2007 at 04:00 PM.

Hi BQ,
    The reason you can't open a straight AI file is that each version brings something different and in many of the older version of Illy can't open the more recent file types. The main problem was that Adobe changed the text engine in version 9 I think it was so for ver.8 and below you have to use the legacy import way and also you have to export that way as well. Now the Xara import filter is even older it has not been updated for many years it also will not import any legacy files newer than version 8 and all text must be rendered as objects to get it into Xara. With all the hassle it was great to see PDF come to Xara but there are still major problems importing and exporting even now. Xara uses different transparency types from Illy and also many of the tools that are commonly used like bevel, feathering, shadows and some types of blends when exported to Illy are rendered as a bitmap so therefore you can't do anything with them. Conversely the same can be said for the Illy PDF as they are differences from CorelDraw and Freehand and some of their tool effects when exported do the same thing in these other programmes so it is not plain sailing transferring from programme to another.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Alacore,
    Thanks for all the information.