Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default cross platform graphics problem! help

I have been editing some photos with corel photopaint 12. Doing lighting, contrast, color/toning, blurring, masking, airbrushing, resampling(making image size small
    er).
    It all looks fine on my laptop(windows xp), with the built in monitor and 2
    external pc monitors(basic ones) plugged in my laptop.

BUT on my other 2 pcs(kubuntu linux), with lower specs than the laptop, I see errors on my
    edited photos using the monitors I tested on my laptop. Errors of distortion, pixelation, splodgyness, color distortion. And all original photos and other graphics all look perfect on these pcs.

I messed around with monitor settings on my laptop, resolutions, opening in
    different graphics progs and testing random contrasts etc to try and see if
    I can see the distortions on my laptop. But it all looks fine!

My laptop is my best computer and where I do all my graphics work, but I can not work with a machine that seems to filter out errors visible on other machines. I want to design graphics for websites etc that look good on all platforms, graphics cards, monitors etc.

So what is the problem with my laptop? Is it the graphics card? How can I fix this?
    Are there any graphics editing protocols I need to know for design/editing?
    Is there any program I can install on my laptop to test how graphics will look on different computers?
    Is there a standard way for mastering/finalising graphics to counter this problem?

Laptop graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForceFX Go5200 by the way.

Any suggestions, tips, thoughts, advice will be much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Nick

Default Re: cross platform graphics problem! help

Ok I have solved it(well half of it)
    No problems with resizing an image on photoshop-cs.

Problem is:
    Resizing photos "resampling" with corel-photopaint.12 causes distortion on some images.

The weird thing is, distortion is only viewable from my linux pcs, not viewable from my laptop which I do graphics stuff on.

Even viewing from my laptop using the external plugged in pc monitors, I can
    not see distortion.
    And yes, original photos and other graphics all look perfect on linux machines.

So obviously there is something going on with either the graphics cards differences, or some software windows vs linux /drivers??

I find this all really bizzare.
    Be careful while resizing images with corel-pp, test for distortion/blockyness on other machines!

Any one got any ideas why this is happening?
    Nick