Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default cant view movies (tutorials) on my computer

Greetings All!

I just bought xtreme and first time I started the program I was able to download a ton of movies. However, when I go to HELP - MOVIES and click on one I get an error message: can't find path to xtreme

I did do a restart seeing if that would help but it did not. I found the AVI files in the directories but when I view them I get a black screen (but I can hear the audio.)

Any help would be appreciated.

I look forward to using this software.

RU

Default Re: cant view movies (tutorials) on my computer

Quote Originally Posted by RU42 View Post
    Greetings All!

I just bought xtreme and first time I started the program I was able to download a ton of movies. However, when I go to HELP - MOVIES and click on one I get an error message: can't find path to xtreme

I did do a restart seeing if that would help but it did not. I found the AVI files in the directories but when I view them I get a black screen (but I can hear the audio.)

Any help would be appreciated.

I look forward to using this software.

RU
    Black screen generally means the codec required is not installed.
    Try using VLC which comes with it's own codecs for many video types built-in. If you don't want to install it you can get the portable version and just run it from a folder on your HDD.
    http://portableapps.com/apps/music_video/vlc_portable

It could also mean you have little GPU grunt (on-board video chip??)

With the Xtreme path error, is your Windows drive C:? Or did you install Xtreme on another drive?

Hi RU42

xara uses the camtasia player which should be installed automatically, along with codec, when installing xtreme or xtremepro.

if you have found the avi files - did you find the camtasia player, and if so will they play in that?

there are several threads on the forum regarding problems with movies that you can search for that may help.

you can also try turning off the hardware acceleration which might work if you are experiencing what sledger calls 'cpu grunt'

good point also about the path, also what operating system?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cam.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	40121  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

One further note, Xaras movie files are recorded using Camtasia which uses the TSCC (TechSmith Screen Capture Codec).
    The TSCC codec is available for free download here:
    http://www.techsmith.com/download/codecs.asp

It may help you or it may not depending on the cause of your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Hi RU42

you can also try turning off the hardware acceleration which might work if you are experiencing what sledger calls 'cpu grunt'
    'G'PU grunt (Graphics Processor Unit)..

GRUNT is an accepted technical term used to convey the power (or lack thereof) of video display adpaters... Or have I just been overhearing too many Australian teenage gamers.... hahah!

you more 'technical' than I on this score - GPU it is - grunt as in GNU?
    I do know from experience that xara does not really 'like' being other than on C: drive ...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

For anyone who may be unfamiliar with the acronym 'GPU'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPU

Some interesting results on google using 'define:grunt'

Thanks everyone for the help:

I found Camtasia and I can load the AVIs into that and they play fine. Thanks for the help there.

I am running XP on the C drive and that is where Xara was installed directly into the default locations. The 'no path' error has me stumped as well.

I am not suffering from GRUNT (just bought this system duo processors, nVidia 512, 1 500GB HD, 4 ram)

Thanks again everyone!

If anyone else has an idea about the 'no path' please let me know. I will do some more searches as well.

RU

I havn't had any troubles with loading xara on other than C:/ . Presently, Xara resides on e:/ and windoze is left all by itself on C:/. My data files (graphics, drawings, bitmaps etc) are on F:/ and G:/. Partionmagic is worth the money.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    One further note, Xaras movie files are recorded using Camtasia which uses the TSCC (TechSmith Screen Capture Codec).
    The TSCC codec is available for free download here:
    http://www.techsmith.com/download/codecs.asp

It may help you or it may not depending on the cause of your problems.
    Folks I'm new to this and am having the same problems. When I first bought Xara and then upgraded to Extreme, I could open and view the movies. Now I can't. It shows a box with a dot in it beside the name of the movie I want to down load.

The Tech terms your using has me at a loss. I used the "Download" and downloaded the "TSCC codec" and chose "Run" but I still can't get the movies to download.

Is there anything a non-techie can do? Thank you and have a BLESSED weekend. BTW, what is the best way to make sure I get back to this link? Can you let me know this via email at donford at suddenlink.net?

God Bless You
    Don
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 26 August 2008 at 11:00 PM. Reason: email address alteration