Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default To Pro or not to Pro

HI All,

I received a newsletter saying that 3.2 for Xtreme and 3.2 for Xtreme Pro are available to purchase. I wondered whether anyone would care to comment on why one should get the Xtreme rather than Pro? I haven't bought the Pro version yet, but am considering it... and do you have to pay for every upgrade when they are released -no matter what their size - or does one get an annual upgrade term in which upgrades are free, as with other types of software eg antivirus/firewall software.
    I am using Xtreme 2.0e at the moment.... think I should consider an upgrade, or consider getting Pro.

Cheers
    Andy

Default Re: To Pro or not to Pro

Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    HI All,

I received a newsletter saying that 3.2 for Xtreme and 3.2 for Xtreme Pro are available to purchase. I wondered whether anyone would care to comment on why one should get the Xtreme rather than Pro? I haven't bought the Pro version yet, but am considering it... and do you have to pay for every upgrade when they are released -no matter what their size - or does one get an annual upgrade term in which upgrades are free, as with other types of software eg antivirus/firewall software.
    I am using Xtreme 2.0e at the moment.... think I should consider an upgrade, or consider getting Pro.

Cheers
    Andy
    Half a year ago I bought pro, mainly also because of the flash animation capabilities, now I see that those flash capabilities are now also in the regular Xtreme version. But if I upgraded now, my pro would get xara3d6 with
    it. Which I already have. So I could have saved myself a lot of money waiting half a year and I would have gotten the flash capabilities too by just upgrading to the regular Xtreme.

But now I can export files in many better ways, the only thing I need
    now is getting some payed (or even non payed) work that needs printing
    for me to find out if those export options were worth it.
    (And yes I upgraded, just to be on the safe side.)
    be aware, not to become a ware.

I think it really depends on what you use Xara for.

I felt that I didn't need to upgrade to Pro for the reason that I don't use the tools that were advertised as upgrades in Pro. I use the basics in Xara to create my web based graphics and it does just fine.

As stated in the previous post, Xara Xtreme has been making improvements to in a sense "catch up" to Pro, at least in some aspects.

I am happy with simple Xara, I find it can do 95% of everything I want it to do. The other 5% I usually have to take to a bitmap program to work up. I don't know if Pro would make the difference or not, but from what I understand of the program it wouldn't really matter for me.

Just my thoughts on the matter,

Jen

There is a Comparrison Chart on the Xara.com site that might answer your question.

It's really a matter of whether or not you need some of the high end features.

Xtreme 3.2 now has almost all of the features that before were only available in Xtreme Pro. Extreme Pro, on the other hand has a few new features and a hoat of improved features.

Gary

As I have 2.0e, is it possible to upgrade all the way to 3.2.2? I do like the pdf facility in Pro though, but that would mean a totally new purchase....mmmmm *scratches head*

Andy

Andy,
    I can't answer whether or not you should go to Pro but you do realise that you can get 2.0F as a download from http://www.xara.com/downloads/xtreme/ (Right side of page)

Oh, just Pro For It!

It has been my experience (especially with Xara products) that upgrading to the latest and greatest is always worthwhile. Even if the improvements sound like something you think you will never need.

After a few months, those features you didn't care anything about may very well be things you don't know how you ever managed without them.

When I first upgraded to Pro, I had no interest in Flash. Now, I make animated birthday cards, holiday cards and other things, just for fun. I never knew how much I would enjoy this.

The tutorials by Gary Priester and Xhris really got me into Flash, and Gary's tutorials on new features make them easy, fun and highly productive.
    ---
    Will