Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

XPE + Vista - Cannot register DLL

Having installed and upgraded to Xtreme 3.2.2, XPE still gives me the "Cannot register DLL -- DLLRegisterServer returned error. OK" error when I rt-click a file in Vista's Windows Explorer and choose Open With> XPE.

Yes, the file then opens in XPE, but who knows what features/facilities I'm missing?

Running regsvr32 manually, that reports a sucessful registration of the DLL, but when I rt-click a file again, I still get the same error as before.

Is it a fault with the XPE install? It looks like half 32-bit, half 16-bit and half 8-bit! What do I mean? Well, look at the dialog titlebar for the above error:

"C:\PROGRA~1\Xara\XARAXT~1.2\Xara Picture Editor\XPE3.dll"

By using "PROGRA~1" in the path, the install is saying that XPE is going to be used by programs which can't understand long filenames. Well, if that's the case, they ain't gonna make much sense of "Xara Picture Editor" are they?!

Seriously though, XPE is looking very kludgy under Vista.

Default Re: XPE + Vista - Cannot register DLL

Quote Originally Posted by brianlj View Post

Seriously though, XPE is looking very kludgy under Vista.
    From what I gather, its future mit magix ist kaput.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    From what I gather, its future mit magix ist kaput.
    (to bring 2 threads together)

Hopefully, if we're using Magix PD as our primary pixel-pushing program, we'll be able to de-register XPE so as to remove it from the Windows Explorer rt-click OpenWith> menu.

I hope.

Think Xhris said the 'plan' was to incorporate some features of XPE into xara itself and the separate program itself would indeed cease to be - can't find the thread at present sorry.
    Xhris usually reliable on these matters, but its not confirmed by xara as far as i know.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Think Xhris said the 'plan' was to incorporate some features of XPE into xara itself and the separate program itself would indeed cease to be - can't find the thread at present sorry.
    Xhris usually reliable on these matters, but its not confirmed by xara as far as i know.
    I get these little tit-bits from things Xara staff say on the forums. They just stick in my head.