Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default New challenge - vacuum-packed look

Alright, I though I would post this for those 'experts' out there that know how to get things done. I've tried to produce this effect for 2 hours and have not even got close.

The look:

Vacuum-packed look OR Shrink-wrap OR Glad's ForceFlex garbage bags (you know - like on the commercial where you can make out what is in the bag because it has been pressed against the plastic wall and it is stretching it outwards)

I have these JPEGS of various US landmarks (about 12 of them) I have them arranged in repeating fashion on a canvas and I want to put a red film over them so that it looks like I've stretched a garbage bag over them very taut and the outlines from the JPEGS are showing through- show you still can make out what the landmark is.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this look??

(I'm sure someone knows how to easily do this. I only know that I am not one of them! - )

Default Re: New challenge - vacuum-packed look

Perhaps it's a good idea to create a reference photo by rebuilding your scene in reality:
    • Print your shapes (landmarks) on paper.
    • Stick your prints on a cardboard and cut around your shapes.
    • Put a plastic bag over your work and create a snapshot of your scene.
    • Import your photo into Xara Xtreme and try to recreate the image with Xara Xtreme's tools.

Regards,
    Remi
    Last edited by remi; 06 July 2007 at 10:50 PM.

Remi,

Conceptually, I great idea - HOWEVER, I don't have an extra $300 lying around to go out and buy a vacuum pump to recreate the desired effect in an analog fashion. Plus, I'm not sure you can really get that upraised 3D effect from taking pictures in order to apply the red film.

hmm maybe you could find some photo references of what you want it to look like, copy the lighting and apply a red color transparency over it?

maybe you could see what some ps emboss tool could do to help too?

RoNC

Hi Fuerza,

Quote Originally Posted by Fuerza View Post
    Conceptually, I great idea - HOWEVER, I don't have an extra $300 lying around to go out and buy a vacuum pump to recreate the desired effect in an analog fashion. Plus, I'm not sure you can really get that upraised 3D effect from taking pictures in order to apply the red film.
    You could try it with cling-film (plastic wrap) and a straw (to create the vacuum). If it works with your digital camera and your lighting, you can use a spray can with red colour.

If you prefer to use a software to do such things, you can try the free 3D open source package "Blender" together with the softbody feature.

Remi

Vaccum packing is a real phenomena, looking up real photographs as a reference would most probably help using google. From what I saw, its lot of highlighted lines stretching towards the edge of the vacuumed objects. Depends on how real you want it to look like it could be easy to achive.

Well here is the start of Washington from Mt Rushmore. laid a duo color transparency of bitmap over bitmap of rushmore for red tint. Then added darker red transparencies for the parts that wouldn't be too visible and pink transparencies for the highly reflective parts...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Here is my attempt.
    Take your photo and manipulate with the bump tool in Xtreme until satisfied.
    Create a red rectangle the same size as the photo.
    -Flat transparency.
    - Group
    - Create bitmap copy
    - enhance with the bitmap editor tweeking the sharpness and contrast .
    -Done.
    Last edited by AndFarr; 07 July 2007 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuerza View Post
    Remi,

Don`t you have a vacuumpomp in your home?
    It`s called a vaccuumcleaner.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

How about using the Plastic Wrap filter in Photoshop? It is under the Artistic Filter directory. Perhaps you could somehow use it to create the effect you are looking for.