Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi folks,

I have quite a complicated graphic that I am trying to slice up to create a webpage from. Some of the graphic needs to be GIF, some needs to be JPG and I would like to control the export options for each image (e.g. some GIFs can be 16 colours, others need more, and I would like to control the the JPG quality value on others).

I have tried clicking on "GIF" in the Name gallery and setting the options for each slice, but when I then choose File / Export image in slices, it seems to use the value chosen in this dialog rather than respecting the value I used in the individual slice's export box...

What have I missed here?

Thanks,
    YourMum
    YourMum

I think you are asking too much of Xara here. If you export in slices then it seems logical that Xara will follow one set of criteria and apply it to all.

If you are OK playing with HTML, you could try exporting twice. Once in GIF, and once in JPG. Then amend the HTML code to pick up the relevant image slice file names.

Good luck

Colin

As it happens, the GIF/JPG split is honoured, it's just that I want to export some GIFs with different colour depth etc. in palette options...

Yes, I am familiar with HTML, so I can do as you suggest and get the result I want - thanks for the suggestion.

YM
    YourMum

Hi Yourmum,

Personally, I would set up my own slices by creating a separate layer with all the slices laid out. Make that layer the only editable layer and have it underneath you artwork. Then output each gif/jpg as you see fit.

Ultimate control... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I am pretty sure you can do that in X1. At least in X1. In Xara X if you tried to mix and match you would crash and burn.

OK I just nipped out and tried it and yes you can have each sliced section be a separate file type with its own color space.

I cover image slicing in the current Workbook 33

Was that what you were asking.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes, that's a good explanation... One thing I found from the help/movies that was indeed helpful was to use guidelines - this made the rectangles butt up against each other and thus didn't have the overlap problem you mentioned.

One confusing part is definitely the final "export in slices" where you are presented with the normal export dialog. My initial attempts didn't give me the results I wanted (I can't remember if I tried adjusting the GIF options in this last dialog or not)... anyway, after a bit of trial and error, I now have quite a large image all sliced up with JPG sections and GIF sections with different colour palettes and depth and so on. Excellent.

Oh yes - another oddity. First time you click the GIF label in the Name gallery the export dialog is shown but the whole image is transparent... is this because the rectangle covering the image is trasparent??
    YourMum

Hi folks...

I just went through this whole scenario myself recently. I was tired of saving out as a PNG my entire design and slicing it with Photoshop. So i actually took the time to use the name Gallery and create my slicing rectangles (like we used to do with Xara 2).

I found no problems when exporting. My PNGs and JPGs were created at the same time using my set parameters. And when presented with the save dialog window, i just chose PNG from the image filetype list. It was the format i was using most.

Overall it's about the same amount of work needed in PS for this job; but XaraX has less options for your slices. Xara Ltd. needs to work on that. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Originally posted by YourMum:
    Oh yes - another oddity. First time you click the GIF label in the Name gallery the export dialog is shown but the whole image is transparent... is this because the rectangle covering the image is trasparent??
    I believe Xara defaults to using transparency for Gifs, simply because Gif can use it. I think it just assumes you'd want to use it. And yes, it's because your slicing rectangle is transparent.