Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Symmetrical moulding - help!

Ok, I'm new to Xara Pro but it seems to have alot of flexible. I just don't fully know yet how to "exercise" that flexibility.

I'm trying to do symmetrical work - whatever I do on one side of the object I want automatically done to the other side.

For example: I draw a rectangle - I want to concave the short sides, but I want to do it so that whatever I am doing on the left side automatically is done/gets duplicated on the right side. Same thing with a banner envelope - or anything in moulding for that matter. If I want to banner effect the long top of the rectangle, how do I do that so it is exactly the same on the bottom?

Also, how do you do symmetrical bending of the concave? When I do the concave option in moulding it gives me two bend points where I can move the top and bottom of the concave independently. How do I get it to give me just ONE bend point in the middle of that concave line so that it will bend equally and be symmetrical?

Any help on this matter, which is probably a simple one for you Xara veterans, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Default Re: Symmetrical moulding - help!

I don't know of an exact way that you could do this, but there is a way to do it fairly accurately

Edit the mould for the top part of your rectangle, and while the handles are visible, take a screenshot (press PrtSc/Print Screen on your keyboard). Paste the screenshot into Xtreme and cut out the top of your rectangle, deleting everything else.

Move the screenshot so that it is directly under the bottom of your rectangle and make it partially transparent. You can see the top half's mould handles in position at the bottom, so just drag the mould handles from the bottom to line up with those in the screenshot of the top.

Sorry that this is so jumbled - the idea is simple, but explaining it doesn't seem to be! English is my first (only) language - you wouldn't know it, would you.

I've probably misunderstood your question completely, but just in case here is my solution, not necessarily the most elegant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	concave rectangle.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	38701  

Jamesmc he wanted concave not convex shape but your method would still apply.

Name:	concave banner.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	38707  
    Norman. The Flying Scotsman

Wow! That was harder than it should be in such an advanced program. Hopefully the developers will add some mirror or symmetrical functions in the next update of Xara Xtreme Pro. It would've been nice to have a node or set point in the middle of every leg of the rectangle that would allow you to push or pull node, for concave or convex effects to be added to the basic shape.

Anyway, I did get it to work. I ended up following a suggestion posted by Gary on 27 January 2005, 05:26 PM. Even then, it was way more involved than it should be.

Jamesmc, I tried your suggestion but the 'free' nature of the shape editor didn't insure a symmetrical arc to the concave line. Plus, the group function did like the colored bands around the main rectangle. Also tried your suggesion Daniel, but I didn't get very far with it.

Thanks to all who helped with their suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by parahandy View Post
    Jamesmc he wanted concave not convex shape but your method would still apply.
    Aye Norman, you caught me with your keen spelunking eyes!

And I was taught that rule in grammar school as well.

Concave equals a cave.

"Jamesmc, I tried your suggestion but the 'free' nature of the shape editor didn't insure a symmetrical arc to the concave line. Plus, the group function did like the colored bands around the main rectangle. Also tried your suggesion Daniel, but I didn't get very far with it."

Then you may want after converting to editable shapes; use the shape editor to select all points, then break at points.

That will leave all sides of the rectangle as free standing lines and perhaps more pliable for the task at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuerza View Post
    Wow! That was harder than it should be in such an advanced program. Hopefully the developers will add some mirror or symmetrical functions in the next update of Xara Xtreme Pro. It would've been nice to have a node or set point in the middle of every leg of the rectangle that would allow you to push or pull node, for concave or convex effects to be added to the basic shape.

You can sort of do this currently, although I don't think it would have worked for what you were trying to do here.

If you use the QuickShape tool and set the number of sides to 4, you can draw a square, and then manipulate one of the sides while still in the QuickShape tool. Any changes to one side will be made to all of the sides symetrically.

Unfortunately, you can only draw squares this way (not rectangles), and the changes you make affect all four sides at the same time.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

One can also do this using boolean subtraction. This way, you are not limited, as you can use any shape or circumference of an object.

The larger the circular ellipse (in comparison to the rectangle) the smaller the angle will be demonstrated on the ends of the rectangle or whatever object you choose.

Name:	booleanrect.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	38714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	booleansubcompare.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	38715  

Last edited by jamesmc; 10 June 2007 at 10:43 PM.

The easiest way to draw symetrical items is to draw a paper doll. To explain. a little bit more.

1. Drop a guideline is the middle of the page.

2. With the shape editor, draw one side of the symetrical shape starting and ending on the guideline.

3. Select the line, move the center point of the line to the guideline.

4. clone the shape (CNTL-d)

5. Zooom in and join both lines together into a 1 shape...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook