Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default help please with resolution & color output to PDF file

Problem: book cover proof shows pixelization, and color is a bit off (but not terribly bad). Printer suggested I ask if resolution is lost when exporting to PDF...they judged it to be 150dpi. I assume that's my error somewhere here.

I used what I have (Xara X1 and PDF995) for this "digital print" book cover.
    The printer asked for 300dpi...so that's what I checked in the PDF options (although I thought it a bit low). Xara file was made using a digital picture of a painting with lettering (changed to bitmaps) over it, then PDF995 with crop marks, etc. Is it normal that the PDF file looks bright, like RGB colors? I created it using "simulate print colors."

Is there a kind of 'formula' for working with digital photos on covers? Like what to do 1st, 2nd, etc. I appreciate any tips you can give me. Thank you.
    ~Helen~
    Helen (Xara Designer Pro X9)
    www.pinpubstudio.com

Default Re: help please with resolution & color output to PDF file

I'm not sure how PDF995 works with CMYK... could you attach the files? Original .xar and the pdf? I can print it to pdf with Acrobat.

Note that there is a dpi setting when you convert to bitmap inside Xara.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon G View Post
    Note that there is a dpi setting when you convert to bitmap inside Xara.
    and the darn thing defaults to 96dpi, everytime.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Smile Re: help please with resolution & color output to PDF file

Helen

What is the resolution of the bitmap image you are including in your PDF file?

If the image is let's say, 96dpi (Windows screen resolution), it will look fine on your monitor but will print soft and/or pixelated.

Exporting such as image in a PDF file at any resolution is not going to change this. The bitmap image you are including in your PDF file should be at least 300dpi and then it will be fine.

X1 does not support CMYK nor does PDF995. But if your printer has Acrobat 7 or 8, converting your colors to CMYK is easy.

Does this make sense?

Gary
    Last edited by gwpriester; 26 May 2007 at 01:12 PM.

My recommendation: invest in an Xara Xtreme Pro update, if you need professional PDF/X export for professional printers.

You need much more time to try different alternatives to create PDF files with CMYK without using the newest professional version of Xtreme. Therefore the upgrade fees are well invested.

Remi

Thank you, all. I am now confused over upgrading Xara X1 to Xara Xtreme... I found the download site, but can't find an "upgrade" for Xara X1. I found the open source (evidently only for Linux). I use WinXP Home.
    Can someone advise exactly what I need to get and where to find it?

Thanks again.
    www.pinpubstudio.com

Oops! Nevermind...I believe I found it!
    www.pinpubstudio.com