Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Latest news

Threaded View

Default Re: Latest news

Quote Originally Posted by wall View Post
    Like remi, I too believe it's a clever stragegy for Magix. But XXPro is supposedly different from the rest of the extremely low-end products that Magix is good at selling. While the upgrade-every-6-month works for those stuff that got put on every shelf all over the world, I doubt that will work for a software product that costs more than $150 and with a more specialized user group.

It's up to Xara to decide how they want to position XXP. Personally speaking, they will lose me if they go for the Magix model, unless they cut the price of XXP to as low as the normal $20 Magix products...

Photo Clinic is a good news though, becuase XPE doesn't work well here on my machine. (the mysterious progress bar issue)

And for the record, based on the softwares that I'm familiar with, when a software/company is acquired by a new one, they usually would try to ease their existing loyal users' mind by providing some bonus first, instead of trying to charge them for an upgrade in a few month.

Ok, personally I have to agree with everything you say, however there is nothing clever about what they are doing if they are just going to find some code to add to Xara Pro that is part of some package in a MGX product. All they are doing is trying to find an excuse to charge a fee for an upgrade (that no one needs) so that they can feel justified in selling it. Furthermore if they add any component to Xara with the word "Clinic" in it you might as well just forget telling any of your pro-graphics peers who you've been trying to convince for years that Xara is the *@#$!, plus, just the fact that it is being sold by a company that sells $19 dollar apps is already going to make it look less professional.

So what we need here are a few new features that don't have to be big but make a huge difference in workflow like the ability to rotate a group of points around an independent axis. The ability to reset an objects alignment to it's original axis or a zillion other small enhancements that would be easy to implement and then I'll shut up. (by the way, I have an email somewhere from Charles from a long time back that said that was in the work on that first one, .... never happened).

And no please do not ad DVD authoring, or to turn it into anything but an illustration program. I wouldn't mind having the ability to have a bitmap/pixel based spray brush that you could use for shading inside shapes that would mask off automatically. No other program has that and it would be killer!!!!

s.g.
    Last edited by sgiff; 08 May 2007 at 07:56 PM.