Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Creating logos with Xtreme

Dear Crazy Wabbit,

This type of response is uncalled for, don't forget we are all here to learn and there is no such thing as a foolish question, this attitude does not help. So let's keep it pleasant.

I'm not a graphic artist or any kind of artist for that matter but for me the biggest obstacle for me was to come up with some kind of inspiration for my company's logo. Once I found that I was able to come up with something using Xara Xtreme and Gary Priester's fantastic tutorials.

The company is a small automotive restoration shop restoring Pontiac Trans Ams and I used a picture of a rally wheel to use as a starting off point. It's not as good as what I see getting created here but I'm working on it.

http://www.spectaculardetail.com/images/pages/R004.jpg

Inspiration

http://www.spectaculardetail.com/m/l1.gif

Logo

http://www.spectaculardetail.com/m/hs1.gif

Heading

ssts, I agree yours is quite inspirational.

In terms of coming up with a shape...

Think about the business or organisation. What vision do they want to create in the prospective customer's mind? Happiness, comfort, a home, peace, ...

Then think about images which reflect this 'value' - smile, cushion, a house, calm sea - to pick one for each of these. Obviously you will find several for the 'value'.

Then look for colour combinations which support the feeling you are trying to create.

So now you have image X colourway combinations - which you need to rank in order to weed out the weakest before showing to us and then your client!

Hope that helps.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Over the last 5 years here in TalkGraphics, we have seen Gary's attempts at creating logos for a client, and he too, shows the hit and misses.

Logo design needs the imagination of the creator, but the end result rests with the client, its the combination of both both parties that produces the end result, and I'm sure Gary will back me up here, the payment may not be for the best result in the designers' eyes.

Ultimately, its the money in the wallet, heck, that's why you are in business. Your best work might still be on the back burner, but your clients choice of design can still pay the bills.

Persist.

Quote Originally Posted by bwana_jim View Post
    Ultimately, its the money in the wallet, heck, that's why you are in business. Your best work might still be on the back burner, but your clients choice of design can still pay the bills.

Persist.
    I go to a logo contest site, I never win, but atleast you get
    feedback, so eventually I might be able to understand the clients
    wishes, which would also qualify me as a psychic.

But I can never stop trying and I got inspired.
    so here something I tried.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spectacular details.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	37711  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ankhor; 06 May 2007 at 12:59 PM.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Jim is correct. Often the logo I like the best and feel works the best is not the one the client likes and pays for. I have discovered one thing, never show a client a design you really don't like and would not want the world to know you designed because inevitably, it's the design they will love.

To Simon's excellent point, the first thing I do when I am at the doodling stage is to try to find something that symbolizes the clients product or service.

For example, let's say that the client's service is anti-virus protection software. Well one symbol that comes to mind is a STOP sign. So then I explore the sign and see if there is someway to incorporate the STOP sign into the design. If it is one of those European round signs, then perhaps there is someway to marry the stop sign with a compact disc, another symbol.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I have discovered one thing, never show a client a design you really don't like and would not want the world to know you designed because inevitably, it's the design they will love.
    Well said, Gary

Quote Originally Posted by ankhor View Post
    I go to a logo contest site, I never win, but atleast you get feedback, so eventually I might be able to understand the clients
    wishes, which would also qualify me as a psychic.
    Ankhor, I can feel your pain. I'm not sure, what's the best way to go for you. As I said before, you developed your own style and that's a great progression. Perhaps, you feel better, if you create graphics (I remember your lovely chickens at the beach) or websites with your style, instead of logos?

Regards,
    Remi

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    Well said, Gary

Ankhor, I can feel your pain. I'm not sure, what's the best way to go for you. As I said before, you developed your own style and that's a great progression. Perhaps, you feel better, if you create graphics (I remember your lovely chickens at the beach) or websites with your style, instead of logos?

Regards,
    Remi
    Yeah I know, but, you always want what you can`t get.
    And I think it is a phase I am in, eventually my intrest will dwindle, and
    I go for something else again, I am moving towards more 'flash' things as we speak.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

ankhor, thanks for the logo ideas, its got me thinking. But I don't want to threadjack this thread with my stuff.