Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: "Runtime Error!" message

Quote Originally Posted by graphicsfactory View Post
    3. Same virus software and firewall used for very longtime.
    4. There was no additional software added for the broadband, except for the driver used with the Linksys connector.
    5. I attempted system restore...that did not fix the problem, and created more of a mess. Xteme's directory was mangled. All of the sub folders were split into "Folder Name" and "Folder Name (2)" and the files mixed between them with "(2)" added. I've never seen that before either.
    Hi, the "folder name (2)" phenomenon is caused by system restore and is normal afaik.

Have you installed anything else on or before March 15th? If you can't remember, go to system restore and click some dates on the calendar. It should show (on the right panel) anything substantial that you've installed on those dates.

Can you block programs from accessing the internet with your firewall? If so, add Xtreme to the block list temporarily to see if that fixes the problem.

I'd also try what Crypto suggested: uninstall, then check the install folders to wipe anything left. Clear the registry keys (regedit.exe, search for Xara, or if you have other Xara products, search only for Xtreme, and delete them). Install again.

Here is a freeware programm for repairing your registry.

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_...ry_cleaner.htm

So,if you go the way like described as here above,this may come in handy

Gr,Hans
    Last edited by haakoo; 07 April 2007 at 01:13 PM.

Hi Mike:
    Took time last night to search the Internet and do a little research.
    Everyone came up with good suggestions.
    After looking around and thinking about it, I believe you are most likely having a .dll (Dynamic Link Library) problem.
    See this page for explanations:
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/dllhell.htm
    If nothing else above has helped so far, it could be one of two things:
    Coincidence-Installing the driver for your PCI adapter had nothing to do with it, you may have gotten a virus/piece of spyware that changed/corrupted/co opted a .dll file that Xara Xtreme needs, unfortunately you are not getting an error code or file name that gives us more info, otherwise you might just be able to replace the file. Or, Windows could have updated, automatically at the time and changed something, such as a different version of a necessary .dll file.
    Not Coincidence-The Linksys driver replaced (with another version)/co opted/corrupted the .dll file that Xara also needed, but the adapter is somehow still working. I'm betting on "replaced with another version of the file", that one makes the most sense to me. In this case you could try downloading and burning the driver for the adapter from the Linksys website, if you are getting the driver you originally installed from a cd that came with the adapter. Might be a good idea to get all the latest drivers for your computer from the manufacturers' websites and burn them to a cd, since it was difficult to get it running the first time around. If your version of Xtreme is from a cd you purchased, you can download and activate a trial copy of Xara Xtreme from xara.com. I'd burn the trial copy to disk before I'd install and activate. Then go to "My Computer", "Properties" and I think it's the hardware manager tab, locate your Linksys Wireless Network Adapter and uninstall/remove it from the list. Then restart the computer. Uninstall Xara Xtreme and if you know enough to get into the registry yourself and delete the Xara Xtreme entries. Then restart the computer. Then install Xara Xtreme from the disk and activate it (if you can do that while the computer is off line), restarting the computer if it tells you to. Try opening it and running, changing and saving any simple project. Then restart the computer. Try opening and working with Xtreme again. Then close the program. Put your driver(s) disk in and reinstall your Linksys driver, going back into the device manager to reselect your adapter. Basically whatever you had to do the first time to install it. Once it's installed, you guessed it, restart the computer. After you restart make are sure you are able to access the Internet. Then start Xtreme and make sure that's functioning. Let us know if things are working again.
    Now if that doesn't work, it sounded like you had trouble when you originally put this computer together, getting the hardware and drivers to work together well and aren't looking forward to going through that, again. If Xtreme means as much to you as to me, you may want to consider reformatting and reinstalling, if it isn't a .dll file problem, but something else, this would wipe the slate clean. It would clear a lot of clutter, corruption and slowing that inevitably occurs as an installation of Windows ages. And this may, or may not be a first symptom of things to come.
    Best of luck with this one and let us know,
    Scott
    Last edited by Shaman; 09 April 2007 at 06:00 PM.
    "I do not think that I will ever reach a stage when I will say, "This is what I believe. Finished." What I believe is alive... and open to growth."
    Madeleine L'Engle

Dll conflict's do occur - For example I cannot run gimp on my main machine because it shares a dll file name with my panda anti-virus/firewall software and to do so is asking for trouble.

And if you do need to completely restore that is the time to think about imaging software.
    An image of a clean build makes any future restore so much less hassle.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...