Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: logo ideas

Default Re: logo ideas

Quote Originally Posted by brianlj View Post
    I used the close relationship between Xara & Xara3D to create the milled edge for the chip.

First, in Xara, I created a QuickShape star with 99 points and increased the StellationRadius to get a shape with a 'saw-tooth' edge. It didn't look as though 99 was going to be enough 'teeth' on the edge, so I duplicated it, spun it by a small amount and AddShapes'd it back to the original. I now had a circle with about 200 ripples in the edge.

I drew 2 almost identical circles within the star to give a 'raised-edge' effect, Ctrl-A to SelectAll and then JoinShapes'd everything.

Ctrl-C to copy the shape, over to X3D and Ctrl-V.

Quickly play with the extrusion, lighting and colour, then Ctrl-C, over to Xara and Ctrl-V.

And... Viola! (I wonder who she was?)
    Excellent! I'll remember that trick! Stunning looking chip.

no. ended up being a team effort

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmc View Post
    Excellent! I'll remember that trick! Stunning looking chip.

i'll defo second that, just followed your instructions....................... what a great effect

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmc View Post
    You can get creative with the texture.
    Because, in X3D, textures 'run' down the sides of text, you can put a pattern on the milled edge of the chip by just using it on the face.

In Xara, I split (a copy of) the original circular shape into 12 segments (using a line and Slice) and coloured them alternate dark- and light-red. I then used a smaller circle to take a 'bite' out of the middle and replaced it with a "100".

Export that as a bitmap.

Back in X3D with the original plain red milled-edge circle, use the Texture option applied to the face. Spin it as required and apply a touch of bevel to the edges to make it look real.

Ctrl-C and paste back in Xara.

(Y'know... I'd forgotten what modern chips looked like 'til I Googled them. The ones I was initially remembering were the single-colour ones that I brought back from the US back in '76. Not a single checker pattern in sight!)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Good things with the texture Brian.

Yeah, I haven't gambled since Vegas in the 70s and Baden Baden before that.

Someone told me that the chips painted that color scheme are for security or something, not sure how.

Used to play with matchsticks until a certain cigar smoker leaned over the pile to collect the winnings and set the table on fire.

Some very helpful ideas in this topic. Thanks!