Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Stereo 3d

Default Stereo 3d

Is it possible to export a file as a stereo 3d file?

Default Re: Stereo 3d

Hello, Jimmie, welcome to the forum.

I don't know of a stereo 3D file format, and I know that Xara3D doesn't export anything of that nature.

On the other hand, X3D can still be used to generate stereoscopic 3D images, by creating a 3d object, exporting a static or animated image, then changing the viewpoint a little, and exporting again. Putting the two images side by side in another program, like XaraXtreme will let you look at the images as a stereo pair. I tend to cross my eyes to look at these, since it is much easier for me than the other way.

The attached image offers both ways of looking at a stereo pair, cross-eyed at the left pair, parallel at the right pair. I have an animated version, but it is too large to post.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Earth Stereo.png 
Views:	243 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	35422  

Default Re: Stereo 3d

As simsmj has mentioned I may not be talking about the same thing as you here but if I am they are known as anaglyph's. I messed around with these about a year ago for a while using Xara 3D and Bryce along with a freeware program called anaglyph maker(link provided)
    http://www.photo-freeware.net/anaglyph-maker.php
    Works on the same pricipal as simsmj's example but you use blue-red 3d glasses to view rather than crossing your eyes. Basically you create an image or graphic in Xara3D or Bryce(which was my preferred software at the time) or any other render software, save the image as a .JPG or .BMP and then go back and offset the camera slightly to the right and re-render. Or in Xara move everything slightly to the right by click+Alt+drag on your text or graphic and save the image again as .JPG or .BMP. Name the first image as left channel and name the second right channel. Load these two images into anaglyph maker and voila you have a true 3D image to look at through your 3D glasses. You can also get the same effect using your favourite image edit software(Photoshop, PSP, Photoimpact, etc) just do a google search for Photoshop+anaglyph, this is how I started doing them. It is a lot more steps and takes a little practice but works good as well.