Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bitmap to vector?

Hey thanks a lot!
    I tried to import the pdf with CorelDRAW, but it said "corrupt file". I'll try with Xara later. Can I save the file as .svg?
    IP

jamesmc

thanks for the eps info - this format I know next to nothing about

x0rnn

xara dosnt do svg
    is the attached any good? svg but zipped cos cant upload svg to xone direct - done with illustrator - pdf in svg out
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by handrawn; 11 February 2007 at 09:01 PM. Reason: add text
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

What is EPS?

Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) is a standard file format for importing and exporting PostScript files. It is usually a single page PostScript program that describes an illustration or entire page. The purpose of an EPS file is to be included in other pages. Sometimes EPS files are called EPSF files. EPSF simply stands for Encapsulated PostScript Format.

An EPS file can contain any combination of text, graphics and images. Since it is actually a PostScript file, it is the most versatile file format that is available.

What is PostScript?
    A page description language (PDL) developed by Adobe Systems. PostScript is primarily a language for printing documents on laser printers, but it can be adapted to produce images on other types of devices. PostScript is the standard for desktop publishing because it is supported by imagesetters, the very high-resolution printers used by service bureaus to produce camera-ready copy.

Can I use EPS in iron-ons and other printed material?

As long as the EPS-file only contains text and vector graphics, scaling it does not affect its quality.

Note: I would upload the Paint Shop Pro EPS file but it is 600kb in size.
    Last edited by jamesmc; 11 February 2007 at 09:19 PM.
    IP

Smile Re: Bitmap to vector?

Thanks

I used to get involved in printing with paste-up, process cameras and metal plates but that were last millenium, now if I can I leave printing to others, a web bunny me.

That said its its great to know these things and I appreciate you explaining them.
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Hey, sorry for my late reply, had a busy schedule.

Anyway, I've downloaded Inkscape and would love some help i.e. how to remove a background or converting an image to a vector using a so called "trace" technique as you called it - or am I wrong here? I guess the tools and other things are pretty much the same in CorelDRAW, if I happen to try it out in there later on...

Never mind, reading the manual. I'll come back and ask something more specific if I get confused.
    Last edited by x0rnn; 13 February 2007 at 08:38 PM.
    IP

see the thread:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=25838
    questions on this topics more than welcome there

cheers
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP