Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: bought pro...OK till I had to replace Motherboard Battery

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    It is a good idea to make a restore point just before making system or hardware changes, just as a precaution.
    Bill...this trick has saved my A$$ more than once!
    ---
    Will

I installed from a downloaded version of Xara on my laptop once because I'd lost the CD, and forgot about how I'd installed it. One day, while away from my office I got the "the download has expired, install from the CD" error.

I just put my PC's date back a week, opened Xara, and then corrected the date. It's fine running after it 'expires', it's only the loading that checks. Try putting your PC's date back to a week or two ago. It sounds, though, that your PC's clock was wrong before your battery went, perhaps without you realising? You'd probably need to find the date that your PC thought it was when you first installed, and then put the clock back to about that time to open the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Dudelsack if you are running Windows XP and haven't disabled system restore, you could restore to a point before the battery died.

That should correct the expired problem.
    Yes, with XP one should try that first of course, but it doesn't always work. Just talked to someone who had installed some Norton stuff which killed OE, and here system restore did not help.

--

Thanks, all of you....turned into quite the interesting topic.....but I'm afraid I've come to a point where things won't go any further with it. Did do a restore, and due to stupidity, I had not enough restore points to get back to the time before I noticed the problem. Live and learn...will take the advise and do better backups....might avoid such problems in the future. And my clock/date was indeed screwed up before the battery change....but I now know at least how to change a battery(think positive!!!)

All in all...I have versions of Xara going back a few years...and I can get done what I want to do without the new version....so I'm going to drop it and let it be...as mentioned by Antony, it is an off the wall occurance, the maker will surely work some fix into future versions.....and I suppose the main point is that the CD will come along soon anyway and there is no reason to get any more bent out of shape about it.....too much going on over the holidays to let it spoil my fun...http://www.too-much.de

Wishing all a good time and great couple of weeks of fun and safe holiday season...Thanks again!
    Dudelsack(German for Bagpipes)

Ya know... there is a linux version to tide you over...

Have to see how to install a second operating system on the computer...never bothered to find out how as I never really had an interest in doing so...but might just do so now...Thanks for the thought!

"quoted by greygeek"

MEPIS-6.0, based on Ubuntu, comes as a LiveCD. It includes Xara.

So there you have it dudelsack, just go to http://www.mepis.org/node/10222 , and have a boo...

no need to load on an xtra os, just download the latest version and burn it, reboot with disk, and your off and running... While there is no doubt that actually installing it to hd will make things run quicker, you can still get a very good idea of things, running directly from disk...

more info on this can be found in the following thread http://talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=22952

cheers