Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello to all. Just a curiosity question concerning hardware...at least I think it's a hardware question. I'm not a creative artist, just a guy who likes to take images and trim a little here and there recombine and make up greeting cards for friends and family. I'm wondering if there is a piece of hardware out there that will allow you to import an image and then cut out what you don't need and save the rest. I realize that XaraX already has this function but if you have a complicated image that has a lot of curves and angles, etc. it takes forever to use the click and trace option with the mouse. It would be so much faster to just have somekind of screen that you could lay flat on your computer desk and then trace with some kind of stylus or something that would allow you to trace an image quickly and then just lift it off the original image and save it for future use. Is this naive or is the hardware just too expensive. All input will be appreciated.

Have a great day. Regards, Manny

http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/index.cfm
    Which is pretty expensive.
    What you're looking for is a knockout or image extraction program.
    A lot of bitmap programs has this function. I believe there are also dedicated programs for doing just that, but they're quite pricey.

Mano
    Many graphic tablets will allow you to place a photograph on the surface and trace around them that way, but that would give you a drawing on screen which I don't think is what you want.
    Extracting an area from a photograph in a bitmap editor depends on the photograph. If the object you want is on a plain background you can use a magic wand type tool to automatically detect the outline of the object and allow you to mask it that way and so extract it. If the background is more complex then there is little choice than to mask it manually, which brings you back to more or less the same process as in Xara where you have to draw around the object and cut it out from the backdrop.
    I use Xara for this in preference to Photoshop or the like as that is ok for my requirements most of the time. It can be labourious but you get faster as you become familiar with the process.
    I use a mouse for most of my drawing as dragging a stylus across glass or plastic to me doesn't feel right.
    The hands were from a photograph (my own left hand, twice) which was traced around very quickly to be placed into the drawing with the flowers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hands.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	18815  

I know what you are talking about here manny. but like they said you get quicker as you get more practice. I can take a tree and remove it from the background pretty quickly now.

Thanks John appreciate the advice and will stick with what I know. Regards, Manny.
    Originally posted by John Rayner:
    I know what you are talking about here manny. but like they said you get quicker as you get more practice. I can take a tree and remove it from the background pretty quickly now.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the situation, I really do appreciate all the input, Take care, regards, Manny.
    Originally posted by masque:
    Mano
    Many graphic tablets will allow you to place a photograph on the surface and trace around them that way, but that would give you a drawing on screen which I don't think is what you want.
    Extracting an area from a photograph in a bitmap editor depends on the photograph. If the object you want is on a plain background you can use a magic wand type tool to automatically detect the outline of the object and allow you to mask it that way and so extract it. If the background is more complex then there is little choice than to mask it manually, which brings you back to more or less the same process as in Xara where you have to draw around the object and cut it out from the backdrop.
    I use Xara for this in preference to Photoshop or the like as that is ok for my requirements most of the time. It can be labourious but you get faster as you become familiar with the process.
    I use a mouse for most of my drawing as dragging a stylus across glass or plastic to me doesn't feel right.
    The hands were from a photograph (my own left hand, twice) which was traced around very quickly to be placed into the drawing with the flowers.

Thanks for the advice. I just priced a pen and pad at compusa for about 200 bucks and without a demo I'm not even sure that it's what I'm looking for. Thanks for the input. Take care, Manny.
    Originally posted by Grafixman:
    http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/index.cfm
    Which is pretty expensive.
    What you're looking for is a knockout or image extraction program.
    A lot of bitmap programs has this function. I believe there are also dedicated programs for doing just that, but they're quite pricey.

Hi Manny,

I tried using a graphic tablet, but it either gave me too many nodes or not enough nodes, depending on the slider. Now I just use the shape editor and draw straight lines then bend em to suit the curve. You get an eye for placing the nodes after a while. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1upload.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	5619  

A tablet PC might have the interface you are looking for. Check out http://www.tabletpctalk.com/ for a list of current models.

- Pete

using a graphic tablet, but it either gave me too many nodes or not enough nodes, depending on the slider. Now I just use the shape editor and draw straight lines then bend em to suit the curve. You get an eye for placing the nodes after a while.
    Thats what I find. I have never been comfortable with the graphics tablet used for tracing as I said, just straight drawing. I use the pen tool to go round objects and adjust the line with the shape editor where needed. Once you cut it out roughly, going back and attending to the detail doesnt seem so bad.
    derek