Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text in Custom Page

I defined a custom page as 5.5in X 9in and added text to it centered on the page. I printed to paper that had been cut to that size. The text was half on the page (starting at about mid page) and half off (extending off the right side).

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone tell me what?
    Charlie

Default Re: Text in Custom Page

Did you tell the printer what size the paper was?

I've had real difficulties in the past with printing onto envelopes that are weird sizes and having things line up the way one would expect them to. Eventually I discovered that the printer driver doesn't neccesarily determine the paper size from the job being submitted.

In my case, I had to go into the Printer Options (usually from the print dialog itself) and use that to tell the printer what size of paper it was going to be using.

I've never had this sort of problem with Xara, but then again I've never really tried to print anything from Xara that wasn't going to appear on a standard letter sized paper, either. Still, you never know.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Odat View Post
    Eventually I discovered that the printer driver doesn't neccesarily determine the paper size from the job being submitted.
    Make that "doesn't usually". If you generally print on letter-sized paper, you probably won't notice because the printer is set to 'Letter' by default. (Or 'A4', depending on your location. )

The printer shouldn't try to read your mind to know whether to print on half sheets or photo paper or envelopes. For one thing, you might want to print a custom page on a full-size sheet. Or you might want to run a bunch of test prints on plain paper before committing to photo paper for the final.

What bugs me, though, is when the printer doesn't just accept the settings I send from the software, but insists that I manually adjust the settings on the printer as well.

As odat said (above), I had not told the printer about the size of the custom page. Thanks.
    Charlie