Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Buying a domain and hosting it eleswhere

I know it is possible, but I'm not sure how to do it: I want to purchase a domain name in Israel, lets say www.domain.co.il but I want to store the actual files on my existing host (which I've already paid for - at hostmonster). I have 50GB of space there so I wouldn't want to pay extra for another host.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Buying a domain and hosting it eleswhere

When you sign up for the domain you should get a user page that will have a menu, including a url at which to "point" your domain name. How you do that really depends on the host, as each domain provider has a different menu.

It's not terribly different than navigating your User CP here.

I will try that, thanks Shanda

Availor,

What ShandaLear said...

(1) Go to any registar any register your domain name...

As mentioned a million times on the Web - never, EVER, let your hosting company "take care of it for you" (for a nominal (or not so nominal) fee...) You don't have control over it (it's not even "yours" at this point) if you decide that your hosting company sucks and you want to go somewhere else you won't be able to "take it with you" unless you pay whatever they want for it.

(2) When you sign up for with your hosting company, they will ask what domain name will be used for the account, and they will provide you with the names of their domain name servers

(3) Once you have signed up for your hosting plan - go to the registar control panel and enter the domain name server names.

This takes less than a 1 minute to do. There's nothing to learn or mess-up...

Risto

Thanks for the reply, I seem to figured out what was the problem. My host did not accept .co.il domain name (Israeli domain). They only accepted .com .net .org and such.

For some reason the prices in Israel and extremely high. I paid 120$ for a domain name (two years) no you don't get a free domain when hosting no matter what the host plan is.

The host plan starts with 4$. Then you will get 10mb of space and 1gb transfare.

If you want 500mb of space (which is sort of the maximum amount I found) it's around 79$ (a month)!

If you want to add statistics and such it can climb up to 250$ a month. I paid 95$ (including domain) for 50gb of space and 1TB of transfare rate. Meanwhile the host company does not cause any problems, but for that price I can buy 2 more
    plans like this one.

I guess I found the reason for that: I didn't find any american copany that can accept the .co.il domain (if you know of a such please let me know).

Apart from that the Hebrew language causes serious problems in the world market (i.e. statistics or forums/chats - I cannot install non-hebrew forum because of the right-to-left writing).

Almost all cheap software and plug-ins, like coffeecup (and Xara as well by the way) will mess up the Hebrew language so people are forced to pay for the adobe/macromedia high priced applications.
    Last edited by Availor; 22 October 2006 at 06:14 AM.