Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Designing a logo

Aha, mystery solved..!
    IP

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Andy,

are you satisfied with the results? I really hope you and your client didn't expect more for 'free'.

Will your client use one of the suggestions?

I'm just curious because I can't imagine a serious business going with a logo whick looks like some wild potato stamp action.

Big Frank,

the Internet sources are not everything. There is a lot more in design than just a few lines written by some gurus.

Discussing design is one thing, the other - more important one - is living by design, based on different cultural and ethnic backgrounds. It is much much more than knowing how to handle a software. It is the creative brain that comes up with a vision and idea, based on intuiton, experience, know how, cultural influence, environment, to name a few.

just my two cents...
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--
    IP

Thanks for the latest contributions. I do like that one Wolfy. I might try something similar.

Andy
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jens g.r. benthien View Post
    Andy,

are you satisfied with the results? I really hope you and your client didn't expect more for 'free'.

Will your client use one of the suggestions?

I'm just curious because I can't imagine a serious business going with a logo whick looks like some wild potato stamp action.
    HI,

Do you mean the crescent looks like a wild potato stamp? I'm not a designer in the true sense either but like these forums (fora?) as they are full of useful info and valuable tips to apply in any prospective work that may come in. Logo design is something I have toyed with but not actually undertaken.
    I have sent my acquaintance my designs as I didn't want to be seen to be "ripping off" any of you guys by using your designs. So the answer to your question is "No, he won't be using any of the designs as inspiration/ideas was my main intention. If however I pitch any of your designs to him I will inform the peopl involved and discuss it".
    But please feel free to pitch. It's nice to see how some of your thought processes work, and to see the odd person here and there get annoyed...lol, only joking.

Cheers
    Andy
    Last edited by AndyD; 09 October 2006 at 11:42 AM.
    IP

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Do you mean the crescent looks like a wild potato stamp?
    Short answer: Yes.

Reason: Because it's only some software doodle without any professional design or creative idea involved.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--
    IP

Thanks for clearing that up...lol

Andy
    IP

Really? Have a look around and you'll see your potato stamp logos everywhere. Logos people have made up themselves without any thought for design or purpose, logos they have bought from a Prontaprint or a supermarkey businesscard machine or that they have pulled off a Microsoft Office clipart disk. They're everywhere. People are prepared to pay for the things that they cannot get without money, supplies, staff, vehicles etc. But when it comes to things they can get without paying more than the price of a cheap meal, they're far less fussy: "we'll make do with this logo until we can afford a real one".

Big Frank,

the Internet sources are not everything. There is a lot more in design than just a few lines written by some gurus.
    Oh. Wow. And there was me (and every other wanabee designer) thinking it really was that easy...

Discussing design is one thing, the other - more important one - is living by design, based on different cultural and ethnic backgrounds. It is much much more than knowing how to handle a software. It is the creative brain that comes up with a vision and idea, based on intuiton, experience, know how, cultural influence, environment, to name a few
    About 1% (or less) of design is knowing how to handle a pencil. The rest is cerebral. It's nice to hear it come from somebody else.

Potato stamp - good analogy
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    HI,

Do you mean the crescent looks like a wild potato stamp? I'm not a designer in the true sense either but like these forums (fora?) as they are full of useful info and valuable tips to apply in any prospective work that may come in. Logo design is something I have toyed with but not actually undertaken.
    I have sent my acquaintance my designs as I didn't want to be seen to be "ripping off" any of you guys by using your designs. So the answer to your question is "No, he won't be using any of the designs as inspiration/ideas was my main intention. If however I pitch any of your designs to him I will inform the peopl involved and discuss it".
    But please feel free to pitch. It's nice to see how some of your thought processes work, and to see the odd person here and there get annoyed...lol, only joking.

Cheers
    Andy
    Andy,

You should send your friend the best of the designs regardless of whether they are done by you or not. Let your friend know that while your design may be free, the others most likely will not be. If your friend has good business sense he'll go with Big Franks design (IMHO head and shoulders above the others I've seen) and negotiate a price with him.

Big Frank may be brusque on times, but he does know his stuff.

Paul
    IP

Wow and I thought my design was good!

Designing logos reminds me a lot of fishing. Some guy wrote a book on how to catch halibut. I've never fished his technique and came up with my own way. Everyone on the docks thought I was crazy and that there was only one way to fish for them. Well to make a long story short the whole dock fishes with my technique now. Just goes to show if someone wrote it its not always gospel!

Just my 2c

Danny
    IP

If I was running the storage company only BFs design and that of Mindscape Design (Syd Meade) would be in the running. Sorry!

There has been some discussion about the use of the crescent. I have used the cresent in a design some years back and it was sort of OK. This morning I passed a company billboard, where a crescent was used and it looked really ordinary. I think the crescent shape is in danger of becoming a bland cliche. It works as a quick job and will look superficially pleasing, but I'm sure BF will say that a Logo needs something more than that.

Paul
    IP