Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: My website layout

That's the way of things. I once suggested 15 different designs to one customer.
    Paul
    A customer can be persuaded - My only enemy, the most stubborn and bigot creature of all I cant deal with is - Myself

Ok, I had a complete turn in my design.

First of all I am starting with a Hebrew site instead, since I need my own "business card" (Imagine I have been working as a designer without having a website).

I need my personal portfolio page and some show off stuff so I can persuade customers to buy work from me, and what better way there is to show a potential customer I am "the master of anything" (eventhough it's not completely true) than putting a video explaining how to use an app (admit it, when you read a book teaching you something you are certein the person who wrote this book is a pro, not some random amature - it's a self advertisement).

The site itself is nothing more than a "must to have website" so I don't expect much traffic - only something I can show to potential clients.

I was inspired by the google blogpost and coffeecup colors design.

All the graphics are vectors (the right big camera is in the process of becoming a vector object - meanwhile it's a photo).

It took me great effort making those camera and microphone. The icons and buttons are all original, so I can proudly say, that even if it's crappy, it's mine not a template and not downloaded from anywhere.

I'm going to add simple flash contents. No popups or fancy animation though I want it all clean and simple (the way I like it).

Afterwards I will work on the English site I have been planning.

If you have any comments or constructive critisicm I'll be happy to hear it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layout.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	29938  

In general I like it!

I'm trying to decide if you have too many colours going on.

I guess it's just your first example, but the layout of the content is a bit unsettling (left column is going to the bottom, right is going to the top).

I see you have Xara there. If I were a proper designer, I probably wouldn't be talking about the tools I use, particularly Xara; simply because I want to emphasise my skills and what I do, rather than the software/products I use. In the case of Xara (as opposed to something like Photoshop or illustrator) you may seed some doubt, simply because your potential clients may never have heard of it and may (incorrectly) not regard it as a professional tool.

Nice job.

Paul

I would lose the shadow on the eyecam...
    -=Bob=-

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I forgot to mention that the graphics are stacked there only to see how it will look like, it's not the aimed content and most probably will have mostly text. I was just was too lazy to type text so I put those pictures.

About Xara: In here people have absolutely no idea what is Illustrator. Almost everyone work with Freehand (in here it's industry stabdard). The designer profession is extremely of a low payment unlike in other countries, so a client has (and does not care) what software you are using. On the contrary, if you are using some other software you are considered a pro.

I told people I can use Indesign and they looked at me with awe.

Some design offices are too cheap to buy more than one copy of photoshop 5. So with 5 computers only one has photoshop, and the rest have Freehand 8 or 9.

All the work is done with ancient tools, without any inspiration (people have never heard of Xara, don't know anything other than acrobat in order to view file etc...)

The reason for that is that there are very little freelancers. So the companies charge high rates and pay pennies to their workers. So the "boss" has no idea about design, and just hires a girl (usualy) that will sit by a G3 Mac for 8 - 12 hours and draw pictures. He pays her minimal wage with no extra hours payment. Those workers went through a course on Freehand and have no desire to learn anything beyond what they already know - so that's my leveralge over them.

I like the new colors, for the most part, and yes on the new elements, clean in design... I agree with losing the shadows

Perhaps some things could be positioned differently, and perhaps the style line of the nav bar conflicts with the rest of the shape in design here...

Happy Designing

Nice look to site2 Paul is right it needs a graghic for the none Cruller eaters out here! Take it easy Button Monkey.

Ok, that's another website layout. I am having doubts whether to make it pure CSS, or to add some spice in it... flash and Javascript.

This version is a printscreen from my browser. It's made purely with CSS. The heading is a GIF file.

What do you think?

I've almost finished my previous site. Only need to host it now. Still making my mind on the name and host company... I'm having decision problems with that
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.gif 
Views:	183 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	30245