The mindscape design is pretty darn good.

I understand where Big Frank is coming from. I think the OP has good intentions and from time to time we all like to help out our friends. I think what's riling Frank (and me, a little) is that the OPs friend is using this in a business situation where he is making money from his friends (and indeed this forums) goodwill. I guess the money he'll save will be going into his own pocket rather than that of anyone else. Hopefully the OP will at the very minimum get a crate of beer out of it.

Recently (I'm not a 'real' designer) I offered to design a logo for someone (not a friend) and after some exchanges and variants, it was sold (for about $200). That made me feel good and the buyer was also pleased. In other circumstances I have designed Logos as part of a website package, but they've been included with the (payable) whole. I've only ever done logo work for free twice. Once for a school and once for a friend of mine that has helped find me web work and is just starting out in a small venture.

Really, for me the rule is simple: if you have money to run a substantial business, you have money to pay for a logo. If you don't you're freeballing at someone else's expense.

Paul