Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Coloring Please Help!

As mentioned in this thread, "to each their own" -- experimenting and finding your own way of working is the way to go. There is no "better" tool... "Shape" or "Curve" tool? You simply have to find a "way of working" that suits you.

Me personally, I could not live without the Xara Pen Tool (It makes my day, every day) as I enjoy quickly "blocking in" shapes, and then using the "push feature" of the Pen Tool to curve my straight line segments. BTW to get the "push feature" in Illustrator 9 required the purchase of a $150 plug-in... :rolleyes (Don't know about later versions).

Once you get used to the Pen Tool, you will know how where to plant nodes to create the shape you are after. Then again, the "Curve Tool" will do the trick also - play with it.

Risto

That was the thing I said ^^
    Play with evrything Lukey and work on your own technique! There is no need to make graph like evryone else!
    I don't know how other people but I use the Arrage menu very often .
    Hi! I'm Peter!
    All your posts are belong to us.

Risto - I don't know what the "push" feature of the pen tool is - care to enlighten me/us???

When you hover with the pen tool (the shape editor also supports this feature) on the center of a line (line in a closed shape is also affected byy this) there is a arrow-like triangular cursor, when you click'n'drag it you can adjust the line roundnes.

I would attach a screenshot but the cursor is not getting on it .

Egg uses this feature in this tutorial.
    Last edited by Zamber; 03 September 2006 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Added Eggs tut link.
    Hi! I'm Peter!

i just watched that MOST EXCELLENT tutorial AGAIN and he does not once use the pen tool

actually, i was wrong in my previous post

i see now that you CAN push with the pen tool, it is the freehand brush tool that i was using and found you cannot push with that one

that said, i agree with others who say the shape editor is their choice of tools - i love it

Well, people lern al their life xD

I said that the shape editor also has that feature while talking about the pen tool.

If you want to apply a brush to a line made with the pen/shape editor just jump to the freehand when you have the line selected and apply the brush .
    Hi! I'm Peter!