Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Special Request to Jonathan Payne

Hi Bayan,

I haven't done any work on the thumbnail viewer for a long time now. You should be able to use the official thumbnail viewer supplied by Xara to get the same results.

I am wondering if the issues you are seeing are due to the differences in 64bit Windows. Unfortunately, I don't have a 64 bit operating system to test this with (no 64 bit Windows XP Media Center Edition ). Again, your best bet is to see if someone has got the Xara version working in a 64 bit environment.

If you are really determined, the source code for my addin is available here:

http://www.zero-one-zero.com/xara/Xa...ewerSource.zip

Regards,

Jon Payne

Thank you so much Jon. As you say it was fine on my original winXP 32bit installation. The problem only occurred when i installed this wretched 64bit thinking that as i was installing a new win version things will be better / faster etc. The problems i had were with drivers of everything being buggy, screen blackouts, crashes etc. The most annoying is my dependance on the thumbnail view to see my files quickly and easily. Now that is gone, one sort of, feels blind!!

I am going to follow Remi's advice and see if that helps. Waht should the Registry keys be to force windows to do it? maybe if i know that, i can enter them manually??

Thanks for the source code but i am a medical person with no knowlege of programming at all so i am afraid that i can not use that.

Thanks to you all for your help.

Here goes - uninstalling Xara...

Regards.. Bayan

If you search the Registry with the searchstring "XarViewer Class" you'll find the key "InprocServer32" with the value "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Xara\XarThumb.dll". This is the path to your Explorer thumbnail viewer for XAR files.

Perhaps, your path references an old DLL of the thumbnail viewer?

Regards,
    Remi
    Last edited by remi; 14 August 2006 at 07:42 PM.

Follow-up

Followed Remi's steps to the letter, no joy. searched registry as per instructions, value seems correct, path is as described.

It maybe something to do with windows 64.

I am really sorry I have taken your time, so, with this problem and thank you enourmously.

Best wishes to everybody.

Bayan

I found two entries of the XarThumb.dll ver 1.0.0.2. There wasn't a DLL in the Extreme folder.

Does Extreme have a newer version.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thumb.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	28783  

Hi Rich,

the first one is the DLL delivered with Xara Xtreme, the second one is delivered with Xara X1. I suppose, Xara X1 overwrites the registry key of Xara Xtreme, if you installs Xara X1 again.

Remi

It's a bug with our thumbnail viewer on Windows 64-bit that we did not discover earlier. So it's down to be as soon as possible. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Charles,

I am so very grateful for this wonderful helpful community and all the prompt support and attention of Xara Ltd.

Bayan