Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Thanks to Everyone working on the Open Source Project

Quote Originally Posted by remi
    I understand, that you're able to work with Linux and don't need specific Windows software.
    But that's my problem: There is no Linux version of...
    Yep, having the applications you need is always the deal breaker, as it should be. Being a user of Super Cool OS 1.0 doesn't do you much good if all you can do is play solitaire.

On the other hand, software availability works both ways. For example, a very important criteria for me when shopping for a new software package is whether or not it has reasonable cross platform support. Learning to use any moderately complicated software package efficiently requires a significant investment in time. Therefore, although I am currently happy with the operating systems that I am using I want to know that when that changes I won't have to learn an entire new set of applications at the same time I am learning a new os. That is part of the reason why I try to encourage people who are considering switching to Linux to start by switching the applications that they use everyday.

Unfortunately, most companies selling proprietary software probably won't be providing Linux versions any time soon. Which is part of the reason I commend Xara so much for opensourcing Xtreme. They even got me to buy a copy of the Windows version. To bad it doesn't run under Wine.

Speaking of which seeing as SorinN addressed your Adobe needs somebody has to mention Blender. From talking to people who use it you should plan on spending a day or two getting used to the interface but apparently after that it is quite logical and intuitive.

Cheers,

Jed
    IP

Default Re: Thanks to Everyone working on the Open Source Project

Quote Originally Posted by jedfrechette
    Speaking of which seeing as SorinN addressed your Adobe needs somebody has to mention Blender. From talking to people who use it you should plan on spending a day or two getting used to the interface but apparently after that it is quite logical and intuitive.
    I just started learning Blender this week, and I can second that. It takes a day or two to wrap your head around the interface, but it's an excellent piece of software once you're acclimated. In fact, there's some methods of dealing with vertices that I wish had analogues in Xara's node interface.
    IP