Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

What uses bitmap fonts anymore? I saw in a LiveMotion help forum where it was advised to use bitmapped fonts to avoid other fonts not rasterizing smoothly, and links to a couple free download sites were provided. One had hundreds of different fonts, just like a normal font site, except that it was all bitmapped fonts.
    ?
    I couldn't remember the last time I had used any bitmapped fonts: I had a couple installed that were verisions of Courier, Modern and MS Sans Seriff (I *think* these installed with a driver for a -very- old dot-matrix printer I hooked up once ages ago) and Webster put in a few more IIRC.... so I download a random bitmap font with a distinctive name (Byte Police) and try to use it for....... something........ -except that only Photoshop will use bitmapped fonts. MS Word, OpenOffice 1.0, StarOffice 5, Illustrator 10, LiveMotion2, InDesign2, Paint Shop Pro 7, Xara3D and Webster don't even list bitmapped fonts at all. I don't have any other font named Byte Police, so I know nothing is blocking access to it.
    ?
    Also, what's the deal with ClearType and OpenType fonts? ClearTYpe is WinXP I know, what software is used to make them? I looked up OpenType and got some technical info, but didn't see any creation software.
    ~

What uses bitmap fonts anymore? I saw in a LiveMotion help forum where it was advised to use bitmapped fonts to avoid other fonts not rasterizing smoothly, and links to a couple free download sites were provided. One had hundreds of different fonts, just like a normal font site, except that it was all bitmapped fonts.
    ?
    I couldn't remember the last time I had used any bitmapped fonts: I had a couple installed that were verisions of Courier, Modern and MS Sans Seriff (I *think* these installed with a driver for a -very- old dot-matrix printer I hooked up once ages ago) and Webster put in a few more IIRC.... so I download a random bitmap font with a distinctive name (Byte Police) and try to use it for....... something........ -except that only Photoshop will use bitmapped fonts. MS Word, OpenOffice 1.0, StarOffice 5, Illustrator 10, LiveMotion2, InDesign2, Paint Shop Pro 7, Xara3D and Webster don't even list bitmapped fonts at all. I don't have any other font named Byte Police, so I know nothing is blocking access to it.
    ?
    Also, what's the deal with ClearType and OpenType fonts? ClearTYpe is WinXP I know, what software is used to make them? I looked up OpenType and got some technical info, but didn't see any creation software.
    ~