Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Problems exporting to eps

I am having problems exporting a readable .eps file.

I opened an .eps file created in AI, removed all elements bar a logo I wanted to keep, added a strapline as text, changed the page size to 800px x 210px and tried to export as a XaraX eps and as an AI eps. The resulting file is not readable by anything. I can't import it into Xara even - I get a "cannot be loaded as it is a renderable eps." message. Opening it in photoshop creates a new document dialogue window offering 577cm x 577cm sized document (changing the dimensions doesn't allow it to load).

I'm missing something here I'm sure as surely Xara Xtreme will allow me to export drawings as eps that can be used by other programmes.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Sorry for reposting this but it got lost on the end of a previous post.

Default Re: Problems exporting to eps

Hi Shane

Welcome to the Xtreme Conference.

I was going to answer you earlier and then got distracted

EPS files are meant to be placed in a program like Quark or InDesign, not edited. This is one reason why Xara cannot open an EPS file it has created.

PDF might be a better way to export your image. All recent versions of Illustrator use PDF as the native file format and PDF maintains your text styles, size, spacing and so forth.

If the image is simple, then you can also convert the text to editable shapes and export to AI. Xara is a bit vague in the export dialog and you need to append the ai to the end of your file name. This should come into Illustrator fine.

If this still does not help, post the file here as an XAR file and let us have a look.

Gary

Hi Gary. Thanks for the answer. I want to export as an eps so that the logo can be used in artwork. I need to open it to make sure that it is right. It exports as a pdf fine but that isn't very useful for inserting into artwork.

I've attached the .xar file. I'm sure there is something there I've got wrong.

Thanks,

Shane
    Attached Files Attached Files

Red face Re: Problems exporting to eps

Odd file.

I have exported it as Adobe *.ai version 8 and then imported it back into Xara. For some reason it comes in on a different layer and the layer is invisible. But if you open the layer gallery and make the layer visible it is there.

There was some extraneous stuff, crops and a long tall rectangle about the same size as the logo page which I took the liberty to delete

I exported it as well as PDF, opened the PDF in Illustrator CS2 and saved it as Illustrator 8.0. The main text was OK but the line of type below came in as numbers. Very weird.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your help. I found the extraneous stuff and deleted it (but not a long tall rectangle). How can you make them visible? Have I left any in there?

I still can't read the eps's I export. Still the same problem when importing into photoshop. I've attached the file that I export. Interestingly this does import back into Xara now but it has replaced the arial font with Helvetica which I don't have on my PC. It is almost as though Xara is trying to substitute Arial with Helvetica when exporting as an eps.

Thanks,

Shane

Ah yes, they are still there

Select All (Ctrl a)

Switch to outline view (Window > Quality > Outline -- or use the Set View Quality slider).

Then press the Zoom to Drawing icon

There are all kinds of artifacts floating around there :-)

Here's an easier way.

There are still two layers, Imported Layer and Layer 1.

Cut (Ctrl X) the logo and tag line to the clipboard.

In the Layer Gallery, delete the Imported Layer.

Paste the contents of the clipboard back on the page (Shift Ctrl v).

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hidden.gif 
Views:	252 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	26430  

Smile Re: Problems exporting to eps

Two great tips in one post. Fantastic.

It worked a treat and now I can sleep easy tonight.

thank you.

To protect and to serve is our motto.

Sleep well.

Gary

Strange things going on in this file (the first one you posted) All the 'a's, 'e's and 'i's are lines not shapes.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host