Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Exclamation FR/BR: Refresh/Rebuild "file system" clipart index

I was in the process of creating some nice prefab objects to drag/drop them from the clipart manager to drawings (for rapid prototyping like visio is capable of) and ran into a problem of XE not refreshing/updating the clipart available in the clipart manager folder I added (which exists as a file on my disk). It worked once I initially added the folder, but then after that it is showing the same old information. I found from the "disc clipart..." "update" option to update the clipart cache but this seems more aptly placed on the context menu of a clipart folder "Update cache contents"... Would be a better place for this function.

Also, there is a bug I found.

To recreate:

Create a new clipart disc folder, consisting of a single xar file. Then say "ok" to build the index. Then drag it onto the drawing. No problems. Now draw something else, select it and file | export -> selection only -> as xar type, to clipart location on disk. Now go to Disc clipart... then choose "update" and let it rebuild the index. No problems right? Ok.

Drag your new object onto the drawing, and draw something in addition to the old, and then export and export as drawing to the folder using same name, and do disc update again. Fine everything good, now drag the full drawing export onto the drawing and select just the old piece and choose file export as we did before using same name, to same place, only as selection. Now rebuild the clipart disc cache again, it shows up as the old drawing, and drag a copy of this final object onto drawing and its bounds are all screwed up and a visual drawing anomaly occurs (attached shot).

In this shot however, the "horizontal fader" as it's showing in clip gallery is incorrect, it is a single copy of the vertical fader (just the fader minus the knob above it), and when dragging onto the drawing it drags with the 'transparent' ghost image with the dimensions of the cached image (which is wrong and I cannot get it to update to the proper accurate version) and shows a video anomaly.

Basically what I would like is an accurate cache for the clipart -- I'm assembling as I go so this is probably not what was intended when it was designed, and reupdating the cache every time I add a file...

Does this make sense?

I'm going to delete the XaraInfo file manually and then rebuild.

Here is that file:

Code:
    # Index file for VST Controls
    Synonym.txt
    45,45, 130,64, 130,130
    Filename, Description, ID, Title, Key, Size
    #DESCRIPTION: I:\Application Goodies\XaraXtreme\Clipart\VST Controls
    START
    Horizontal fader.xar, , 1, , , 2952
    Pot.xar, , 2, , , 3034
    Vertical fader.xar, , 3, , , 2960
    You can see the dimensions are there but they are wrong? I dont know what any of this means.

Deleteing the XaraInfo folder and this file and reupdating the folder doesn't update to show the proper contents either. So it's a bug?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!Export.gif 
Views:	184 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	26434  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 06 June 2006 at 11:44 PM.

Default Re: FR: Refresh/Rebuild "file system" clipart index

Is there some 'system-level' place that I can clear all the clipart cache? I need accurate representations for this to work like I want it to. Yet deleting that XaraInfo folder and all it's contents and removing and re-adding and updating the contents of that folder have all resulted in the same incorrect representation as shown in the attached screenshot.

Default Re: FR/BR: Refresh/Rebuild "file system" clipart index

Did you restart Xara before doing the update?

Christine

Yes ma'am. I did indeed. This is very confusing. I've deleted the XaraInfo file, and it's still showing those old previews.

Does the XAR format contain a "preview" like PSD? If so, perhaps this is the bug and nothing else? The preview is incorrect no matter what I try.

Grymmjack

I've resized your image. Could you possibly keep your posted images to no more than 740 pixels wide, otherwise members with low resolution monitors have to horizontally scroll whilst reading each line of text within your post.

Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

yees the XAR files do contain a small bitmap preview. I have noticed before that this does not always get refreshed when using the file open/close dialogues.

Christine