Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Brilliant idea - an Internet Clipboard.

With cl1p.net you can copy and paste between computers.

Just enter in any URL that starts with http://cl1p.net (example: http://cl1p.net/left-brain/) and post. Then from any other computer enter the same URL and copy.

Useful for...

Getting around firewalls. With cl1p.net you can easily move data from one machine to another. All you need is a URL.

Enhance Instant Messages. Instant messaging clients do a poor job at sending large blocks of text. With cl1p.net you can create a cl1p and post the URL in an instant.

Improving productivity. Cl1p.net is the fastest way to post to the Internet. Why go to the trouble of logging into e-mail just to move data?

See http://cl1p.net.
    Regards, Dmitry.
    Useful utils for Xara: http://xaraxtv.at.tut.by

Default Re: Brilliant idea - an Internet Clipboard.

Just tried it out, excellent. You're right it's a great idea, I can use this a lot. Thanks for the heads-up, Dmitry.
    -- Bob

Windows has network clipboard - it's called clipbook.exe and clipsrv .. Kind of old and odd to use, but works good on a LAN

I don't know anything at all about cl1p.net , but I'd really think very hard about posting anything remotely valuable (in terms of information or copyright) to any remote server unless I had absolute confidence in what happens to that data. cl1p.net might be incredibly secure and completely trustworthy, but I'll not be using it.

Use cl1p.net by all means, but think hard about what you are doing and check it out properly first.

Paul

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I see if you make an attachment (up to two mb) that after one download it will be deleted. Still it could be a good way to send a >2mb file to an email recipient. Upload the file to the clipboard then email the url. The person will be able to download it when convenient (good for dial-up users). Also it means that your file isn't going to be sitting around on an email server for years. And its less likely to be inadvertently forwarded to people beyond your control.

I don't know if Paul's security concerns amount to much. Just use some discretion about what you upload if you think somebody might steal your files. Many people email documents to themselves yet this system is likely more secure than email. Nothing I'd use the clipboard for would cause me any concern.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland
    I don't know anything at all about cl1p.net , but I'd really think very hard about posting anything remotely valuable (in terms of information or copyright) to any remote server unless I had absolute confidence in what happens to that data. cl1p.net might be incredibly secure and completely trustworthy, but I'll not be using it.
    Same way I think about it Paul. That's also why I avoid to make use of any online services and rather prefer to have alternatives running on my own server so that I know what's going on with my data.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Macintosh
    its less likely to be inadvertently forwarded to people beyond your control.

I don't know if Paul's security concerns amount to much. Just use some discretion about what you upload if you think somebody might steal your files. Many people email documents to themselves yet this system is likely more secure than email.
    My point is that just as you have to trust your ISP not to go looking through your email files and to not distribute them to anyone else, you will also be trusting the operators of the clipboard service to do the same.

My concern was that people may see the benefit of using the service but may not understand some of the implications of doing so.

I have sent sent sensitive information by email, but I'd be very unlikely to trust anything remotely sensitive to a clipboard service as described.

Finally, I haven't checked where this service is based. It may be operating under rather different privacy laws than may be present in the US or UK - I confess now I haven't even looked where the company/service is based.

Just think before you use it, is all I say.

Paul

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Here's the guy behind the clipboard system.

Dmtri, if you have your own website why not post your file to that and of course if you are not limited for space make the file as large as you wish and of course down load it whenever you wish . Only you will know it's there and of course the server administrator if he had a search, chances of that are remote. here is one I did a moment ago to illustrate the point.
    http:// www.warden.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Tap.png
    Or http://www.warden.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Burns.txt
    ...........Norman
    Last edited by parahandy; 05 June 2006 at 10:01 AM.