Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara & Solidworks Harmony. Is it Possible?

What is the most efficient way to integrate my Solidworks Skills to Xara? Import, Export, File Types, or is there some cool plug-in? Xara Rocks!

Default Re: Xara & Solidworks Harmony. Is it Possible?

I use other 3D applications, none of the CAD category, but I suspect you could use the native exports of Solidworks to the native imports of Xara Xtreme quite easily.

For example, in their clip viewer called 'Picture Editor' you can make bump maps from images. That is, make a bump map with images that have defined lines.

Example: I wanted my face or my company's logo on a product I have designed, I could make it a bump map, thus giving it a 3D appearance. I would use the png save function of the 'Picture Editor' bring that into Xara Xtreme, clean it up if I wanted. Then export it as a 24 bit TIFF file. TIFF is a better choice for shades of grey for bump maps.

The vector line feathering feature of Xara Xtreme allows you to give dimension to 2D art where there is none. For example, if your lighting in your 3D application does a fine job, but is still missing some points that you want empahsized. Just bring the 2D image of the object into Xara Xtreme, add some layered, feathered, transparent and modified vector lines to the object. You can achieve glow, shadow, reflected surface and many other things you cannot do with precision lighting in a 3D application.

Along with many other uses I can't even begin to think of right at the moment.
    Last edited by jamesmc; 06 May 2006 at 02:57 PM.

Default Re: Xara & Solidworks Harmony. Is it Possible?

Thanks James, You got a big heart for taking care of a newbee; smile.
    The more I know... The more I dont know... and I am not one of the 10 types of people. Just a thankful johnny