Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy Bugs with bevels and convert to editable shapes?

I'm using my new Xara Xtreme 2.0f CD and I'm having fun but I've a seen a few things that look like bugs. I've attached a simple file to demonstrate.

1. Load the file, select the "O" object on the left, right-click the crosshatch to set to no line color, and the straight sides of the bevel go away and all that is left are the rounded corners. If this isn't a bug, then is there an explanation for what's happening?

2. Select the other object to the right, and select "Convert to editable shapes" from the Arrange menu. The shape stays the same but it gets filled with garbage, for me it's been variously mottled shades of gray. That really seems like a bug.

How did I make these objects? Beats the heck out of me! I'm just flailing away trying to draw something I can see in my mind's eye and learning and experimenting.

Thanks for any comments. I'll probably be a bit busy over the weekend but hopefully I'll be able to pop in and see whether anybody has anything to say.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Bugs with bevels and convert to editable shapes?

Alright, to reproduce the bevel thing:

- Draw a rectangle.
    - Click the round corner button.
    - Convert to editable shapes.
    - Break the shape at a point with the shape editor.
    - Add an outside bevel.
    - Right click the cross-hatch for no line color.

I do not know how you did it or what is going on.

In the O shape if you klick on the bevel you will see that it has a black outline(look at the info at the status line). Right click to remove the outline and do whatever you want.

On the other figure after converting it to editable shapes you will see a bitmab fill. Click on the NONE fill and go on. Hope this solve your problem'.

Lionel

Lionel, thanks for the workaround on the bevel, it does do what I expect (line disappears, bevel remains) when the bevel has no line color as you suggest.

But it still looks buggy to me because after I follow the instructions I gave and the sides disappear leaving the beveled corners, I can use the shape editor to grab the middle of one of the invisible sides and bend it a bit and the bevel on that side reappears:

http://atomota.home.comcast.net/huh.jpg

And thanks for the observation about the bitmap fill. The help file has sections on converting just about every kind of object to an editable shape, except rectangles! But I certainly wasn't expecting it to create a bitmap (it appears in the bitmap gallery as part of the convert), fill it with gibberish, and create a group(!) and use the bitmap as a fill. That's beyond quirky. I can't reproduce it which is one reason why I attached the xar file in my original post. But there it is.

It seems to me you are trying to apply an envelope. After removing the outline ungroup your shape. Change your view quality to "wireframe", move the bevel shape and delete the left round rectangle and apply the envelope to your shape.

Hope this help you

Lionel

That's strange behaviour, but this might explain something:

The bevels are bitmaps, and take their color from the object fill if the object something else than a line. Fills disappear if you break an object. Bevels bahave rather strangely on closed objects without a fill.

btw all objects can be turned to editable shapes from the right-click menu on the object.