Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: xara projects

Default Re: xara projects

Kev,

The Wacom Graphire II tablets are about $100 USD. The Intuos is the higher quality and higher priced version. You could do like I did and start with a Graphire II to see if it fits your work style. I still prefer to use the mouse for my drawings. The only time I use the tablet is when adding a lot of lines that need to be free flowing like hair.

Zeb,

A Cintiq sounds like something I would like to use, but can't afford on my income Having the screen image on the drawing surface would make using a stylus/tablet easier and more natural feeling.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Check out this article on the Acer Tablet Laptop http://www.highend3d.com/articles/reviews/21.html. Seems like it is even cheaper than the Cintiq. Maybe some day when we get rich we can get one.

Forget your tablet and stick to sketching or you will end up like me paying over £100 forr a mouse that I use on the laptop. The Wacom is great when using PS and poorer when using AI and awfull with X1. Some folk say that they use the Wacom in the right hand and the mouse in the left, well not me! I can count the number of times I have completed drawing with a tablet on one hand over 4 years that I have owned one. I just can't cope, give me my pencil and scanner any day and I will complete th drawing on time and just as fast as anyone with a Wacom. Save your money and buy decent software or plugins to get the effect that you want. But that is just me!
    Design is thinking made visual.

Interesting, Albacore.

I used a mouse to draw with in Xara X for over a year before I took the plunge for a tablet. At first it was weird and I wanted to go back to the mouse, but I stuck with it and now it's more natural. I place the tablet on the slide out tray that my keyboard and mouse pad rest on. I put it where the mouse pad is, sliding over the keyboard to accomodate it. I have my left hand on the keyboard with my fingers over the F2 - F4 keys so I can easily go between Select, Draw, and Edit tools. I do the rest with the pen substituting it for the mouse. It works great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sketch.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	24876  

I go back to Koala Tablet and software on the Atari St. Presently I am using the Wacom Intuos 3. The programable buttons and scroll bars make it that much better. Combined with a Logitech Track ball mouse and a cup of Coffee it's kinda like juggling but I have become used to it.
    Wacom the best thing since sliced bread

Thanks for the advice alot to think about think i will keep learning to sketch.

Zeb thanks for pointing me towards your tutorial great help in using layers to color. I decide to keep the drawing simple to try the technique.

Thanks again everone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pencil.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	24879