Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default job frustrations--

hey

just got laid off!

i see all these graphic design jobs on the net here for local jobs but they say we need to know adobe products... well i want to use xara, and really dont like illustrator... anyone have any ideas??

also any ideas to make a strong xara portfolio??

RonC

Default Re: job frustrations--

Well, it might be better to switch to use illustrator, just to get that job. Once you have the job they might not care so much what you use to get results.

maybe i could just say i use xara and then say i could export it out to .ai?

either way i simply want to get a "career" job for once and i just dont really know those adobe programs, and actually dislike them.

RonC

Hi Ron

My condolences. I've been there 5 times. Downsizing is fun

Unfortunately you don't mention from what type of industry you where laid off from, nor your qualifications.

I see all these graphic design jobs on the net here for local jobs but they say we need to know adobe products...
    I suppose the cruel answer to this is, if you want to be EMPLOYED in the graphics industry you have to work with these 'industry standard' software programs.

The important point to note here though is that the final graphic must end up in the said 'industry standard' software. Surely how you created this 'industry standard' software is irrevelant, or at least should be unimportant.

But not for a narrow minded employer.

Show your portfolio. The software used to create your work is irrvelant to your final product, only your skill.

I produce my web sites almost exclusively in Macromedia Flash. I've never even produced a straight line using the Flash drawing tools. I always import all my graphics from Xara. Does this concern my client? They're never aware of it and why should they be. As a supplier I can rapidly alter the graphic attributes etc.

Take a leaf from Jens attitude. The destination is the goal, not the course.

(I've just changed my strap to "ENJOY UNRESPONSIBLY", but perhaps "The destination is the goal, not the course." is even more meaningless. .... I might change it again.)

Again, sorry to hear about your situation, but you've got talent .... use it!

I've had 8 beers tonight. They all said "ENJOY RESPONSIBLY". I fulfilled their every request.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 12 April 2006 at 03:30 AM.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

it wasnt an industry it was a security coordinator position- more or less i managed an entire security team.

so, more or less I don't know where to go from here

I guess it's best not to get into graphic design.

Ronc

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Take a leaf from Jens attitude. The destination is the goal, not the course.
    Thanks Eric - you hit the nail on it's head!

Ron,

if you want to make millions, you'd better start over with something else. But if you like your profession, if your heart beat says you are an artist or illustrator, go for it, especially if you have talent.

You might start your own biz, at least you might check out if you'll have a chance. Start with local enterprises in your town, contact them, tell them what you can do for them. A small portfolio made with **any software** will be great. It shouldn't be too expensive.

For example, you can design a unique brochure (square format?!) with a couple of single side printed pages showing your samples (always with a caption). Take this file to a local shop like Kenkos (?) and have it printed 10 times, bound with a thick spiral. And have some biz cards printed as well. Shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

Don't rely on Internet marketing - there are billions of competitors out there (though this doesn't mean they are qualified).

You might pick one single niche to start with, i.e. menu cards for restaurants in your area, and as an extra offer the development of a website that features the same menu cards plus some coupons for free drinks. Or displays for shops, outdoor and in-store displays.

Do some 'guerilla marketing', that means achieve the greatest impact with minimal costs involved.

Set yourself a time limit. If it'll work after 6 weeks, you'll be on your way. If not, there will be still enough time to look for something else.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Ron,

Sorry to hear the news. I've been down the lay-off path myself. In the long run it was probably the best thing that could have happened to me ... at least so far (fingers crossed).

Regards, John