Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Combine / Slice stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by jens g.r. benthien
    ok, you' ve messed up something. The lines are not single lines, but two lines stacked onto each other. Even worse, if you move one node, you get a shape! Seems you've added and combined several shapes.
    This fits with what I saw on my original drawing, when I went back and looked at it after my post. My "lines" had a hollow track in the middle, although the nubs I was trying to cut did not - could just be that the scale hid them. I tried to replicate that particular situation in the picture I sent for the post, but could not. Seems I came close enough, though, for you to detect it. And I have NO idea how that happened, in order to avoid it in the future. I will just start over tracing the shape I was trying to replicate, and see if I either avoid it or duplicate it. If I duplicate it, I'll let you know. THANKS!

OK, somehow I did it again. I am trying to trace the borders of a logo I designed in a raster program. I used the Shape Editor tool, and plotted both ends of each line, and then "bent" the line into the curve I wanted. I did this with each successive curve, and then for the connecting lines. I traced just ONE line for each border. When I got all my lines plotted, I then used the "Combine / Add" to make all the lines into one shape. But somewhere along the way, additional lines were created along the path of the lines I was bending before I joined them all. Is there any way to keep the lines from multiplying? My drawing is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Why are you combining/adding the lines? Don't you want each section a separate shape? Continue drawing along each section and when the last node overlaps the first you have a shape...then go on to the next section and do the same.

Mickie

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

I don't know what you have done, but your second file is a mess as well. Can you post the 'raw' data here? That means your traced lines, not combined, not sliced, not modified?

The object consists of two almost identical shapes, placed on top of each other and then combined or added to a new shape or whatever. There is no way to tear those objects apart...
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

I guess this is what you want to achieve. I've placed your object on layer one. Note that there are only very few nodes/control points in my object - as compared to countless in your object.

In many cases it's easier to draw new vectors instead of tracing a bitmap.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Quote Originally Posted by jens g.r. benthien
    I guess this is what you want to achieve...

In many cases it's easier to draw new vectors instead of tracing a bitmap.
    Thanks, Jens! The single flat form, with the four tails, is exactly what I was trying to achive. I didn't actually use Bitmap Trace, I just used an imported picture (JPG) of my logo in a background layer, and matched the lines on another layer on top of the picture, with the Shape Ed tool. So, in essence, I thought I was "drawing new vectors," because I was drawing on only one of the layers, and eliminated the background picture using as a guide, before combining the lines. In theory, I thought, I should end up one single-layer drawing, with single lines. Is there something about having the two layers being present during drawing, that duplicated the lines? I'll keep playing - click and learn, I always say. All you guys are fabulous!

Hi Mudwoman

Here's is were I think your problem lies:

I drew some random lines, connected them, and then inserted a circle to close the gap that I left. I then did Combine/Add, so it's all into one shape.
    You can't join (or add) shapes & lines in this manner. Firstly you should select all the lines, give them the required line width, then go Arrange/Convert line to shape. Now select the circle as well and Arrange/Combine/Add shapes.

If you miss out the step of first converting the line to shape and just select all Add shapes, you will get a very different result.

Egg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!Export.gif 
Views:	110 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	24386  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host