Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: green vase

Default Re: green vase

Tim,

I think the second version is better for sure! The foliage has more depth/interesting colour, and the same goes for the yellow flowers. Dropping some colour on to the tabletop also spreads some of the "good stuff" to look at, around a little bit.

Pulling in some colour from the background doesn't necesarilly mean changing the whole colour of the vase - hey, it's your image! But yes, as is, side by side - the second version is better.

In both versions - the tabletop is too warm of a colour (IMHO) compared to the background. (It stands out a bit too much). Your flowers and vase are the main things you want us to enjoy - the other things around it should just make it look better - encourage us to look a bit longer/more.

For backgrounds in general - if you really look at still-lifes done by amazing painters/artists - there's nothing really "random" about them. You can use the really darks (and subtle colour variations) of the background around parts of the main subject matter that you really want to make "pop"... Same goes for shadows of things sitting/and around things on a tabletop.

Tim,

There's a lot of "lip flapping here" - again, it doesn't mean I could have done it "better". As I have mentioned before - it's a lot easier to stand on the sidelines and point (have an opinion), than actually doing.... Both versions look good to me - the second one is better.

Tim: Not being a trained artist, I make so many fundamental mistakes that I don't even notice.
    I'm not a trained artist either... My whole working life has involved carrying a really big stick to be used on coders who are "hackers" at heart. Bringing order to "chaos-that-would-be" is what I have been doing. But yes, "art" I have always enjoyed - from papier mache to over-priced oil paintings...

Cheers!
    Last edited by RTK; 09 January 2006 at 03:11 AM.

I like the second image better also, but I have to admit that I was dissapointed that you changed the vase color. I was looking forward to seeing the difference if you added the background color in some subtle shading to the green vase.

Thanks for this thread though, between your design ... I really enjoy your vase/flower series ... and Risto's comments, we are all learning something.

Mickie

Very nice. One day I will learn to illistrate better than I do now.

Something like that is inspiring.......

Thanks all for the kind remarks, isn't talkgraphics great.........you start with something you like and end up with something your really proud of. This isn't the first time that this has happened to me, and everytime people are so encouraging and positive!!!
    Mickie. I started this drawing with the background and was so happy that it came out exactly the way I wanted it that there was "no way" I was going to change those colors :-). I did keep a copy with the green vase and now you have made me want to see what I can do by changing the background, but I must admit, I love the brown vase!
    tim

Tim,

Keep the background as is, but try using the green vase and have it pickup colours from the background.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Yes, what Bill said.

Mickie

I agree, i liked the green vase better...

Quote Originally Posted by TimS
    just another still life from me, composition not quite there but hope you like it.
    Hi TimS, was looking at your still life and thought I'd try a similar drawing, as you can see, not so good, but it's my first attempt so will try and improve. My vase looks "flat" compared to yours, did you use a fractal plasma fill to give it "boddy" and not appear flat?

Stygg2003
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cc.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	23777  

Thumbs up Re: green vase

Absatively scrumptious both pictures

And yours as well Stygg, I missed it whilst writing first reply