Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Default Freehand Smoothing

I was curious what people are using as their default smoothing % when drawing freehand?

In other words, what setting gives a good compromise between freedom and smoothness when drawing with a tablet and pen?

Being a drawing and graphics newbie, I am trying to find settings that give me the most control. It helps some to adjust the Pen settings on my Graphire 4 tablet, but I'm still getting to know Xara Xtreme and any hints are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

Default Re: Default Freehand Smoothing

About 10% is a good compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris
    About 10% is a good compromise.
    Thanks, I'll try it at 10% as a place to start and adjust from there. 0% is too free, but the default 50% seems TOO smooth!

It is readily available and it is not a setting you can't tweak on the fly as you need it.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Thanks, I'll try it at 10% as a place to start and adjust from there. 0% is too free, but the default 50% seems TOO smooth!
    True enough, but I was looking for hints as to a setting that closely immitated free hand drawing with a pencil.

Cheers

Doug

Doug,

I have been drawing free hand a lot lately, and I find that the "settings" vary quite a bit. Going fast or slow / coffee or not... 30% to 10% is where I go, personally.

I don't think there is a "right" answer to this one - "feel" your way through! The size of your tablet, and how much your swing your arm/pen around, also matters. Find the setting that feels right to YOU.

Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Risto Klint
    Doug,

I have been drawing free hand a lot lately, and I find that the "settings" vary quite a bit. Going fast or slow / coffee or not... 30% to 10% is where I go, personally.

I don't think there is a "right" answer to this one - "feel" your way through! The size of your tablet, and how much your swing your arm/pen around, also matters. Find the setting that feels right to YOU.

Oh, I know there's no 'right' answer or 'one size fits all' . I was just curious what folks used as a base to start from. Trust me, I'm usually the first one to break the rules. I mean, that's why the rules are there, isn't it?

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

I'm using 100% when drawing large, smooth curves, and 50% when using handwriting. The first option delivers curves with just a few nodes/points which can be edited very fast. Less than 50% delivers too many points in a complex drawing and doesn't make sense (IMHO) - it just increases the file size.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Quote Originally Posted by jens g.r. benthien
    I'm using 100% when drawing large, smooth curves, and 50% when using handwriting. The first option delivers curves with just a few nodes/points which can be edited very fast. Less than 50% delivers too many points in a complex drawing and doesn't make sense (IMHO) - it just increases the file size.
    Makes sense, thanks Jens!