Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A person is having a sign made that needs to have a font vectorized so the sign creator can use the font. Apparently they cant find the font.

I have the font and have Xara.

the sign co told him they needed

"We cannot find this font, can you vectorized this font into your text and save as EPS or Illustrator and e-mail to us."

I don'thave Illustrator but again, I do have Xara. Does this mean I should create the sign text using the font at the size they need and export it as EPS format.

Has anyone done this before.

Type your text, then select it using the Selector tool and click Arrange -> Convert to Editable Shapes.

It turns your text from words to vector outlines that look like words. The other guy doesn't need the font installed on his PC then - just as he wouldn't if you sent him a file with a drawing of a square in it.

Search for posts from Jens linking to Ghostscript, it's a free application which will open EPS files independantly of Xara - it's good to check that your EPS file is good for the non-Xara world by previewing it there before sending it on.

Hello krelvin,

As long as the text is simple 1 color with nothing fancy (fades transparencies etc) Just save it as an .ai and the printer should be able to pop the text into the rest of the sign in no time.

Just make sure there are no typos in the text and it is laid out properly. Once the text is converted to a shape, then ther is no changing it except for scaling it. In this instance, an .ai would be the easiest way to go.

John,
    Some of the "Cutter" software won't import an .ai file. I'm definitely no expert on sign-making ... but I did a little work for a local sign-maker with a Roland cutter which would only accept a .cdr or .eps file.

I think Daniel's suggestion may be the best course.

Thats strange Ed,
    I had a mate who no longer in the the business and on his Roland you could cut straight from Xara. Strange that it doesn't take ai files.
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hmmmm... One of the sign shop guys I know uses flexi as the interface/driver for his cutter and that takes .ai. the printer said EPS or .ai. I do not know that much about EPS but isn't that a form of bitmap, not a true vector?

A Vector would give a smoother cut I would imagine... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Can't you just retrace the printed font with shape editor tool? From what I understood the persona had this font printed but couldn' match it to the ones he has. So I think tracing it using either the pen tool or the shape editor would be the best result.

a WMF file can be imported by any program, although I think it is limited to only 16 color.

I stand corrected. My guy was "printing" directly to the Roland cutter from CorelDRAW.

You probably need to know what application is being used to "print" to the cutter. I'll bet any vector format will work as long as it isn't a newer version than the application can import.

John,
    I thought EPS was a vector format ... is it not?

I do not use it that much so I am afraid to voice an opinion. I babble enough as it is... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Hi Ed,

I think the answer to your questions is: Yes, No, Maybe. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif EPS can be vector, it can also have an embedded bitmap, and it can contain mostly printer control commands. Kind of like a Chameleon it changes with it's surroundings http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

It's almost like a program language, with an interpretor that 'speaks' EPS and the printer (cutter) language; it tells a printer/cutter where to move and what to do once it gets there. With an embedded bitmap, it tells the printer to get ready then simply streams the bits to the printer, letting it handle it as best it can.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update