Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

New to Xara3D6. Loaded off the CD.

I cannot seem to use the sample designs. For example, when I click on the design picker, open the gold folder, open the bathgold file, what I end up getting is a giant X instead of my text converted to that style. I've trying picking the design first, then entering text and I come up with part of my text - again in front of a giant X.

I have the biggest collection of Xs and 6s ever! I've tried applying certain animations to no avail.

I'm sure there must be something obvious that I'm overlooking? Can you tell me the secret?

Zip

It is difficult to help without knowing what you want to achieve, but...

you can remove the X by clicking, say, the top X button on the toolbar down the left

OR

change the X to, say a triangle, by going to Design Options on the right, make sure 'Border' is selected, and then from the drop-down to the right, pick another shape.

Do watch the video tutorial and then just play; even experienced hands are surprised by what this can do, but most tricks are discovered by users!
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

What I'm trying to achieve for example, is to use the bathgold design on the gold folder, but I don't want it to say xara 3D6, I want it to say zip. I want to apply that design to my text. Or else what is the point of having pre-made designs? I must be missing something simple?

I enter my text, I open the design and what I get does not remotely look like the design - no matter which board option I select.

I can apply some shapes, but not the designs and not the pre-set animations.

Or if I open up the 2D shapes and select the haxton symbols A file, it shows 6 designs, but I'm not allowed to select a particular one of those designs -- the same design comes up every time.

By the way, I have watched the tut.

I'm hardly an expert on Xara3D, but I think you are using the wrong element to accomplish what you want to do. The "Design" feature applies only to the "oval" you see with the default "Xara3D" image; not the text part.

Try this..... Click either the "Open" icon on the Toolbar or "File/Open" and double-click "Samples" and then double-click on the "Gold" folder to open it. Select the "Bathgold" item and then "Open" in the dialog box.

Click on the "Aa" icon on the left and change the "Xara3D" text to "Zip". That should do it.

Jeff

zip

You may need to switch to 'text' (top of the 5 x buttons);set the extrusion for this and then return to eg 'board, - 3rd one down.

You may not believe us but it is possible:

http://www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk/downloads/zip.jpg
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Thank you for the demo. That's exactly what I'm getting, so I'm very disappointed with this program. Why on earth would I want a letter X behind the zip? I understand that I can turn the board off, but then, why give me the design in the first place? I could accomplish a plain zip without using the design picker.

There are all those designs and they will all give me a letter X or a number 6 or something like that. I guess I misunderstood the design picker and I don't see where the design picker saves any time.

I thought they would be premade designs where I could just change the text and my logo would look like the sample in the design picker, only in my text instead, whether it has a board or not.

If that's the case, at least they could have given me some designs that didn't say Xara3D6.

I promise you - I'm not a thickhead....

Zip

Don't worry; most of us struggle...

Years ago I battled with a Corel 3D package (CorelDream?) which they threw in with CorelDraw. It convinced me that 3D is hard work.

X3D makes a lot of complexity quick and easy but you have to play with it to find how it suits you. Most of us use shapes (either from fonts or Xara X1) rather than the examples you get - it is easier to start with a blank screen and just play.

Which is what I did here:http://www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk/downloads/zip2.jpg
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Thanks for your patience. I think that's the same conclusion I came to -- that it is just easier to start from scratch.

I'll stop frustrating myself then -- it just bugs me that there are all these designs and 2D shapes and I can't use them. :-(

I downloaded the demo before I bought -- and one of the reasons I bought was based on the premade designs because I often have to do very quick logos. The program is very nice in a lot of ways, but it is not as advertised in the demo.

Yahoo! I finally figured it out! You have to use the import function on the file drop down menu to use the preset styles/designs.

Zip

Now you have taught me something! Thanks.
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk