Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default 3D Interactive Thing

Hi all,

I'm not looking for feedback on appearance, or user friendliness here, just whether it works at all, and what browsers it doesn't work with. There's a long, and expensive, story behind this request that I won't go into ATM.

This page requires the download of the Axel3D plugin, which is pretty small and I'll vouch for it being safe. http://www.jwhitham.plus.com/temp2/B...ToolCombi1.htm

3D navigation is left button rotate, right button (or shift+left) is zoom.

TIA

John
    IP

Animation works great in Firefox. Pretty fine piece of 3D animation, too . Rotating the model is a bit clunky, though, since you can't do free rotations like you can in 3D apps. Middle click, select axis, LMB drag to rotate in that axis, MMB again to redefine rotation axis. It works, but a bit cludgy for me. But perhaps its just the way the player works...
    Perhaps coloring the parts could brighten up the animation a bit...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Grafixman
    Perhaps coloring the parts could brighten up the animation a bit...
    Unfortunately it's a pretty uninteresting looking tool in reality, unpainted ali castings mainly.

Really pleased to hear that it works in Firefox, it should do, it does in Netscape, but I've been told that it doesn't in early versions of Firefox.

It looks like development of Axel may have ceased, and I've got 20 of these product viz things part completed, plus another 80 to go. The developer has been taken over by a bigger concern, so the danger of the plugin page disappearing looks to have gone. I've got to decide whether to carry on with the project or not.
    IP

Default Re: 3D Interactive Thing

80 more of these?
    Good luck with the project. If the pay is good, why not? Just take frequent short breaks so you wouldn't get the urge to smash your head through the monitor when monotony starts ...
    IP

Lightbulb Re: 3D Interactive Thing

it tooks long time to load
    or it's just me
    IP

Default Re: 3D Interactive Thing

Most of the meshes exist, so the really tedious bit is putting the javascript calls into the flash component, that is truly monotonous.

The 3D world is 32K, should take around 8 seconds on a 56.6K modem. Where you maybe including the plugin download time?
    IP

Lightbulb Re: 3D Interactive Thing

it works
    IE 6
    IP