you've said -- CMYK TIFF prefered --, so I guess it's not mandatory to deliver a CMYK TIFF.

My suggestion: call your printing company and **ask**. Usually any printer will accept a RGB TIFF, because he does have 'his favorite' software to convert it from RGB to CMYK - either with a Windows, LINUX or Mac system (how do you think they convert their RGB files???).

And if they don't convert it with a software, their RIP (Raster Image Processor, the device that's generating the printing plates) will handle the conversion. I don't know of any RIP that doesn't have this feature.

When I have to send a file for printing to another place where I don't have a direct access to the printing company, I send a RGB TIFF - I've done this for more than a decade now, and the result was just great.

Keep in mind that the people at printing companies are not dumb - they are savvy professionals who's job is to assist you with their know how and professional equipment you - the average guy - can't afford. Or is anybody here in this or another talkgaphics forum who runs his/her own RIP?

Let's face it: most printers run Illustrator or photoshop, and they have much more experience with all the needed tricks to produce the best result for you.

The discussion about Xara X output for printing is somewhat academic and of no importance if you have the right guy at the other end of the chain!

jens g.r. benthien
designer
http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
----------//--