Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Aligning

I was having problems aligning a text object, and th=ried this approach. I created a text string and converted it to editable shapes. I aligned the test and bitmap with the Xara X alignment tool. Then applied a clipview, and grouped the result. Then reinserted the bitmap, and aligned it with the clipview. This aligned everything perfectly. I have been trying alignment ideas by drawing lines to objects, and grouping them to establish repeatable control points. I found that some times I would lose the position. Just me. I then used the box to set the rotational point. Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rich.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	1685  

You always come up with these methods I would never think of trying.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

I guess studying the tutorials has shown me that creating a plan is a good idea.

I tried this again. I opened a bitmap and made a copy. This was to have two images the same size since they would be overlayed later. I added text over one image and resized it to almost cover the image. I aligned the text and image since later these would be matched to the other bitmap. I beveled the text, and converted it to editable shapes. I wanted to use the text for a clipping object, and use the bevel to give an embossed appearance. I set the text behind the image and made a clipview. This gave the text the image, and the bevel as a separate object. I gave the bevel object some transparency. This was all still aligned. These were grouped, and the second bitmap selected and aligned with the objects. I added a little shadow, and converted it to edible shapes. Just wanted to move the shadow freely. Then grouped everything. This was the plan. Rich

Name:	Laura.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	7147  

Another way to align the text with the bitmap background, would be to intersect the text with a clone of the bitmap. So it becomes a bitmap filled aligned shape. Then add a bevel/shadow etc ...

... or if you wanted a bitmap filled text object. You can copy the text before intersecting, and 'paste it in place' afterwards. Cut the intersected shape and 'paste attributes' to the text object ... then apply bevel/shadow etc. You can now change the text type and the bitmap fill will still be aligned to the background.

You can move the text around by dragging outwards on one of the corner resize handles with the minus button (on number pad) held down. Then select the opposite corner handle and reduce it etc ... and vice versa. (See attachment).

If you don't need to use a shadow ... a much better way than this idea, is to use Ross' technique of filling the text/bevel with a 100% transparent png bitmap. This way the text is movable around the background and there are no alignment issues ... just looking for the link to his thread ...
    Transparent bevels thread.

Just another couple of ideas. BTW great tip there Ross.

Regards

Su

Name:	Text-Bitmaps.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	18592  
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Haven't got to intersecting yet. I will study these methods. Great ideas. Rich