Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Ok there have been a few of the art topics today so I'll ask one more.

Timeing just been a bit off for me. Last week I bought two years on www.ArtEffectsNI.co.uk

I've always worked under the name Art Effects, but as www.arteffects.co.uk and art-effects.co.uk were used up I added the Northern Ireland tag to ID myself.

however both www.arteffects.co.uk and art-effects.co.uk, while paid for do not seem to have any active pages.

One states;
    Domain Name: ART-EFFECTS.CO.UK
    Registered For: SalZick Ltd
    Domain Registered By: SEMAPHORE
    Registered on 12-Nov-1999.
    Record last updated on 30-Mar-2001 by <webmaster@semaphore.co.uk>

If it was last registered in May-99 is it now free - under the two year thing? or does the above mean it was re-registered in Mar-01?

Anyone know what the Reg'ed on line means is it first ever reg'ed or most recent reg?
    What does last updatd mean - re'reg?

The other is similar:
    Registered on 17-May-1999.
    Record last updated on 12-Mar-2000 by nominet@nominet.org.uk

This one does not make sense if it was updated after just one year?

Sorry for art diversion.

Turan

Ok there have been a few of the art topics today so I'll ask one more.

Timeing just been a bit off for me. Last week I bought two years on www.ArtEffectsNI.co.uk

I've always worked under the name Art Effects, but as www.arteffects.co.uk and art-effects.co.uk were used up I added the Northern Ireland tag to ID myself.

however both www.arteffects.co.uk and art-effects.co.uk, while paid for do not seem to have any active pages.

One states;
    Domain Name: ART-EFFECTS.CO.UK
    Registered For: SalZick Ltd
    Domain Registered By: SEMAPHORE
    Registered on 12-Nov-1999.
    Record last updated on 30-Mar-2001 by <webmaster@semaphore.co.uk>

If it was last registered in May-99 is it now free - under the two year thing? or does the above mean it was re-registered in Mar-01?

Anyone know what the Reg'ed on line means is it first ever reg'ed or most recent reg?
    What does last updatd mean - re'reg?

The other is similar:
    Registered on 17-May-1999.
    Record last updated on 12-Mar-2000 by nominet@nominet.org.uk

This one does not make sense if it was updated after just one year?

Sorry for art diversion.

Turan

Turan

In August last year we took out a domain name for our off-road motorcycle club and got so fed up with the lack of support from the hosting service who handled our domain registration that we decided it was time to move. This was done late last December and our entry in the Nominet database shows as having been updated on 2 Jan 2001, much less than the two years we had paid for. Another two domain names we are responsible for have also been moved within the two years and also show a similar discrepancy.

Updates by Nominet (or I would think by similar registration service) can be done for many reasons including the service a domain name is registered through being sold out to another service and having to change the TAG (if you don't understand this term, I'm sorry, but I'm not about to go into a long explanation).

Basically, the registered on/in entry for the domain names you are interested in, is/are the dates on which they were first registered and do not indicate that they are necessarily free. Also, as I've indicated above, the Updated On info is equally unreliable as an indicator of whether it is free.

I would suggest you contact Nominet for any information you may want regarding these domain names. You can call them on 01865 332211 or visit their web site which is at:

www.nominet.net

What I've said sounds a bit garbled to me but I hope it helps.

Tracey

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Turan - I'm thinking it might be worth your while to register ArtEffects.Biz and use that url. I wonder if there is any particular value to your business to have a '.co.uk' url?? I suspect there isn't. Here in North America almost nobody uses search engines that filter urls. I realize some european search engines do but I suspect they are loosing market share to the bigger search engines that don't.

I find these .co.uk type urls cumbersome. The Canadian equivalent used to be free to register for Canadian businesses. The result was businesses who use it 'look' less professional than the .coms (I'm sure there are many who'd disagree with me on this). Call it .com snobery if you will but I think many web users find country-based registrations provincial.

At this time practically every .com name is registered or at least it seems that way. The new .biz ones are considerably more open. You should know however that when you register a name with one extension, that is similar to an established one with another extension - you might be subject to court action. Say I found pepsi.biz wasn't registered and I claimed it. I should expect that in due course Pepsico will come knocking and that they will prevail.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>