Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Actually the aurora's can have a wide variety of appearances. There is a site with a wide variety of pics. You can find it here. I particularly liked the pics they had from the space shuttle showing how they look from space. There are also links to some really beautifully photographed examples as seen from Alaska.

Regards, Ross

PS - I thought I'd point out too that there is a second thread here on the auroras. Find it here.

The above photograph is from the great web site of Dick Hutchinson who has put a great deal of effort into photographing aurora borealis.

http://www.ptialaska.net/~hutch/aurora.html

Loads of great pictures!

That is they way it looked to me when I was standing in the middle of the bush, 70 km north of the city of Kiruna in northernmost Sweden.

Granted that it was 30C below and my glasses were fogged up. I also admit that I have had some vodka with Reindeer milk at the time. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

Ross

I've had a look at the site you pointed to in a previous message and I've had a look at the pictures taken from space. Only thing is, the WebMaster(?) doesn't seem to have any idea about when you should use .GIFs and .JPGs. I mean - a 1.3Mb .GIF??? That's a bit much when I saved it on my PC and saved it as a .JPG with a size of around 309Kb!!! In addition, the 166kb .GIF I got down to 52kb or there abouts using .JPG!!!

Tracey

Hey Risto!

I like your drawing very much, I never seen the "northen lights" live, but when I saw your drawing it's what I've imagine it to look like.

Cheers mate and I'm taking a "snus" for you [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Risto

I spent a great deal of time looking for Santa coming through your Northern Lights but was unable to find the little guy.

He is there isn't he?

Have a great Christmas and a wildly successful New Year.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

http://www.gwpriester.com/flag.gif

Hi Risto,

That is one fine illustration!! So what if it looks nothing like the other one that Chuck posted. It's obvious that the perspective is quite different. You were looking more upwards. While there is nothing like nature, yours is one that leaves the imagination wondering if those reindeer are out there flying around. I LOVE IT!!

Risto, how DID you create that forest??

PS: Anyone see Lord of the Rings yet?? Talk about some stellar achievments, and allot of it created on a computer. My mouth was watering. Stunning!!

Happy Holidays to All

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by RAMWolf44 on December 24, 2001 at 22:39.]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Risto ... I think your Aurora Borealis scene is great ... I love the lines and waves in the actual sky and the green gradient blend to black below the trees. The trees are really neat.

I might give the aurora borealis a shot (aurora australis for those southern hemispherers viewing it around the southern celestial pole) ... I have been doing more real painting and working with Painter recently. I only wish Corel Painter had even a quarter of the good interface as XaraX does ... it would make it much better for working with.

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg

Mr. Downunder, I'll have you know that the most adventuresome and influential Vikings were the Norwegian ones! Those Danes and Swedes were blushing schoolgirls in comparison.

Eat that - or taste my broadsword.

Risto, your aurora borealis is very artistic - my compliments. I'm just a bit bothered by the large "burnt-out" green area - it makes it look too much like a garishly overexposed photograph . . .

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")