Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Kane,

The detail you put in to your cutaways is astonishing!

Fantastic work - just fantastic!

What detail in a drawing and all in perfect perspective.

That engine detailing, those welds in the space frame, the shading for the carb rams and the suspension details just great!
    Design is thinking made visual.

Originally posted by knightedduke:
    Kane,
    How about some figures? Like how many layers, hours/weeks, hair pulling, etc.
    ron
    Ron,

As you can imagine it's almost self-defeating to work in layers on this type of illustration, as so many things sort of intertwine, but I used four in all, excluding a guide layer. Most of the drawing was done on one layer. There are a total of 11,285 objects, but that's a bit misleading as there are many repeated elements, such as nuts and bolts, although as one moves from the rear of the car to the front, one has to change these elements to fit the perspective in that area. That figure would also include blend components, which when broken down would come to about 300 objects.

I worked on the drawing for about three months, most intensely in the last four weeks as the deadline closed in.

The most difficult part of this project was filling in the gaps in my knowledge about the car. I know it fairly well but as a former mechanic I know when something is missing from my information, such as wiring or plumbing, but one has to find the right answer in any case; a brake caliper is not just a brake caliper. The original cars were all destroyed by Ferrari after the 1962 season, so no original examples exist. There is one reproduction, built for Chris Rea by a guy in England I believe, but that's not the same thing and I don't know how faithful it is to an original, many of which had their own evolution through their careers. So I was stuck with referring to a small collection of forty-year-old photographs and a couple of rather incomplete drawings from the same era ('61-62).

Al Brinkworth, a local model builder and a friend of mine, came to the rescue with such details as spoke lacing diagrams and certain component mounting points whose location answered questions about other components(more in the realm of detective work than illustration, but that's nothing new), while certain other modelbuilders I contacted were of no help at all, perhaps thinking that knowledge about this sort of thing is somehow proprietary once in one's own hands.

The illustration is of the car driven by Phil Hill at the Italian Grand Prix at Monza in October of 1961. This was probably the best overall development of the Sharknose; the 1962 version had a bit more powerful engine but also featured a wider track, which hurt its top speed and rendered it far less potent on the bigger tracks like Spa and Monza, and harder to keep off the curbs at tighter tracks such as Monaco.

PS: I wrote an article about the reproduction here.

Kane,
    Wow. You're obviously an expert on this. From your comments, you may not know every absolute detail of every inch of the car, but you're as close to it as anyone could get, I think.

The cars I draw are not from a personal hands on knowledge of all the details, but simply a drawing of what details I can make out from the photos I'm able to acquire off the internet. Hence, drawing every little screw, etc. is not possible. Of course, I'm doing only for my own enjoyment, not for any other reason. I have thought that one of these days I might like to attempt something like what you've done here, but I haven't made the commitment it requires as yet.

Again, amazing work Kane. You've set a really high bar.

ron
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Ten stars from me.
    This is what separates great artists from the rest of us mere mortals . Talent, technical knowledge and the eye for details. How you find the will and stamina to complete this project is beyond me. To be able to dream big dreams and realize them, that's something only a few are able to do.