Though my settings in teh options-dialogue are set to "Give new object most recent attributes" the line one draws after selecting a stroke shape and reverting back to a normal line is still a stroke!

You can repeat this error by selecting the same option in the options fiels (on the General tab), then drawing a line and giving it a stroke (the Freehand tool and the most right dropdown list on the freehand infobar)
Every line you draw thereafter will have the same stroke. Now, when you select a normal stroke again, it will give the selected line that attribute, but every line drawn will revert back to a stroke.

On the whole, I'm not that enthousiastic about X1. It seems to me a half finished product with some icons refreshed (but not all, and the printer icon is downright ugly!) The overall speed improvements others claim are not experienced by me (but then, I have a considerable hefty PC since I do run Illustrator etc on a everyday basis. The idea that Xara is being phoned home everytime I start X1 is scaring me.

I see my purchase as an investment for the real release but i'm holding my breath...