Have you tried changing the way that the object handles work in the newer version of Xara that you have?

I use Xara's subscription version (which was called Designer Pro+ last time I looked, but don't ask me the version number - the names change more often than I have a haircut) and had to ask support how to get the handles back to how they used to work because I couldn't for the life in me get used to the new ones.

I go back to that email whenever there's an update that knocks out the change, or when I change PCs...

Close the program and use regedit to change
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Xara\XtremeProSub x64\18\Options\Selector Tool\ShowXCBoundsBlobs
from 1 to 0. Then restart
The bit that goes "\Xara\XtremeProSub x64\18" will be different for you... it's different even for me now, currently living at "\Xara\XtremeProSub x64\Sub"

..and then to see the old-style handles on photos too, in the Selector tool, turn on the 'show selection bounds' option:

Name:  unnamed (1).png
Views: 192
Size:  14.1 KB

...and finally you can right click on the Aspect ratio lock button in the Selector tool and on the popup menu that appears uncheck "Smart transform":

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aspect.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	133009

I truly don't know if any or all of these things will work with your Magix version, but they are what make the most recent Xara version work for me "the way they always did"