Quote Originally Posted by rsrsrs View Post
As far a s i´know the last good software from Magix was MusicMaker, about 20 years ago.
Any chance to switch frome Magix back to Xara, without buying again?
rs3, the only downside, some believe, is it would be a switch from a bad subscription model to another one.

Through Magix, you get to keep your licensed products. After expiry of the Update Service, this is still true but you lose all on-line assets and the limited Magix support there is.
Before any switch to Xara, you must Download All (right-click on the) Blue folders in the Local Designs Gallery. This puts GBs of templates into your local cache so the loss of on-line is not really then a problem.

You next decision is whether you actually need to upgrade your XDA each and every year.
If you do you get a new licence for the version on the date you register it.
Any updates in the year you must treat as vapourware as there is no guarantee that a change to the OS, device or a an XDA re-install will allow the updated components, application or assets, to be retained.
At some point, you will revert to that registered version.

You decide to take a punt with Xara Cloud+/Xara Pro+. This is effectively a drop-in replacement for XDPX. Most Magix features like EXIF and the Xara Slideshow are gone. You still have a Magix installed version for these although you cannot update the Slideshow; there are far better solutions available for free elsewhere.
Again, there are no XWd or WDP or XP&GD sub-versions available. You get the Xara powerhouse that covers all of them. At a cost.

The cost is, if the use the LIFETIME coupon, almost identical to the cost of an Magix XDPX renewal.

It is a subscription. At the end of the year, you can buy back into Magix with a renewal of the Update Service or re-subscribe with Xara.
At the end of the subscription, you do not have Cloud+ or XPro+ access. You can use a limited, free Cloud account and you can use an old Magix version or renew with Magix.
Regression may be slightly worse as Xara delivers more updates and more frequently so even if you buy back into Magix, there may be a lag until all the vital features/gizmos (very few to be honest) reappear.

While the LIFETIME offer is open, I truly see no benefit in staying with Magix.

If you Magix renew faithfully, it is as cheap to switch.
If you don't renew frequently, switch for a year and revert to your old Magix version until you feel the urge to upgrade.

Finally, email Xara and ask for a negotiation against your remaining Update Service.

My XDPXv18 runs out in June, yet I have no desire to renew and will stick with my Pro+ until I no longer need it for work.

Acorn